Hard Disk Drive

Reaction score
Hi there;

I have been contemplating switching to Mac over the last few months, mostly because I will have some video-editing needs in the future and my computer just can't handle Adobe Premiere CS4 at the moment. However, I have very important files on a 1.5TB HDD, and I will certainly need to modify them on Mac (that is, edit with either Premiere or Final Cut).

What do I need to do? Will I be able to read and modify the files I have on my current HDD? If not, how can I solve that kind of problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Buy an external enclosure for the HD, and put it in there. Then connect it to your Mac.

C

chas_m

Hold on -- you say you have some important files on an external HD connected to your Windows machine.

If that external drive is formatted NTFS, you'll need to copy the files onto your Mac's drive before you can modify them. NTFS drives can be read but not written to on Macs.

My suggestion would be to get an external case as suggested above, then connect the drive to your new Mac, copy all the important files (to the boot drive if you have room, or to another external if you don't), then REFORMAT the external drive to be a Mac drive, then copy the files back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.