IMAC probs (fan loudly blowing when turned on)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anybody know why when I turn on my (almost brand new) iMac the fan turns on very loudly and does not cease?

I have been having a few problems ever since I got it a few months ago. When I am using the CS5 Suite (photoshop, or illustrator or the like) every once and a while the screen turns like "static" and everything freezes up. I think my memory is installed wrong or something because this should not happen on a new iMac.

When this would happen I would be forced to turn off the power and wait a good half hour before turning it on. That's what happened last night, I waited an hour and now every time I try powering it back up the fan comes on very loudly and I am scared to use it (right now I just have it sitting on with that fan tooting) Should I turn it off? Any ideas on how to stop it or what is causing it?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What you're describing should not be occurring, much less on a brand new iMac. Call your local Apple store and make an appointment with the genius bar to have it checked out. It's a busy time of year for them so be sure to call ahead before taking the machine on in.

Reaction score
Hey there,

I agree with chscag, I have a iMac and I hardly ever hear the fan at all, as chscag said call the genis bar and they should be able to resolve the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.