• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10 fine reasons for not buying an iPad for Christmas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Funny those could be said of any Apple product. As we know the next version of said product will be better. But people still buy anyways. And it's not just Apple products. PC gamers are well known to buy a gpu 3-6 months after their old one cause it's to them out of date and old.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
But what do Apple's profits have to do with buying an ipad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Those are the kind of posts I don't read seriously. Thats probably coming from someone at THE WSJ who can't have it. All of those 10 reasons can either be said about practically everything you can spend money on, or can be expected to be heard from a hater. The window fans are out full force with the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Number 9 is totally wrong. I've had my iPad for eight months and I use it more than my Macbook and iPhone, and I will continue to use it until it ceases to function.

This whole list is a bunch of nonsense. I can't believe people get paid for writing this swill.

Reaction score
Is it promotional strategy

I think, either it was just fun, or another promotional strategy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Funny those could be said of any Apple product. As we know the next version of said product will be better. But people still buy anyways. And it's not just Apple products. PC gamers are well known to buy a gpu 3-6 months after their old one cause it's to them out of date and old.

ugh, this is true.. I've been very tempted to buy a new GPU, despite my current one being perfect for any game for years to come..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
They subscribe to the if you can't beat it bash it rule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Those are the kind of posts I don't read seriously. Thats probably coming from someone at THE WSJ who can't have it. All of those 10 reasons can either be said about practically everything you can spend money on, or can be expected to be heard from a hater. The window fans are out full force with the replies!

What he said. One and Two can be said about everything in technology as well as other things you can buy in a store. Three is just filler because he couldn't come up with anything else. Four and five, yes I can see these as consideration. Six, Seven, and Eight are subjective and any educated adult will not have a problem with this. Nine is just and rant. Ten is something he had to add as an attempt of humor.

I see this as something that should be on a blog, or he's just using it as a ploy to get hits on his page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
That's really funny that he mentions all of this. every technology made right now obviously will be better next year.. like any car. and anything else in the world. second. no flash.. uhm yeah been there done that, wasnt that like sooooo long ago? the ppl buying the ipad know what their doing. flash isnt even that important and if she wants to watch a tv show on his ipad using flash? good luck doing that on an android tablet cuz i'm sure it will get slow. apps, hahaha that is the funniest thing i have heard. he let go of his itouch cuz he was getting addicted? someone needs a life?, the ipads are better than many other things because seriously walking around my house with my laptop just so i can watch youtube videos or be on facebook. i can just do that with an ipad thats much more lighter and more efficient at it. he thinks ppl who buy ipads want to replace a computer.. not the case here... he needs to get his act together cuz obviously he just wants to talk trash about apple.. i bet his computer of choice is a windows..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ditto!

Number 9 is totally wrong. I've had my iPad for eight months and I use it more than my Macbook and iPhone, and I will continue to use it until it ceases to function.

This whole list is a bunch of nonsense. I can't believe people get paid for writing this swill.

Again, Ditto!

C

chas_m

The WSJ fell into the toilet when Murdoch bought them.

But aside from that, they're just whoring for hits. Don't give them any.

We got an iPad for Xmas and yes I *know* a super-duper-megawhoop new version that does everything short of wax my surfboard will be out in the spring. But we've been good all year in not buying excessive crap, and we wanted one, and we could afford it, and it is AWESOME. Yeah, we might sell it for $100 less than we paid for it six months from now and get the new one IF it turns out to be a compelling upgrade. Who the frick cares??

If someone told you could RENT an iPad for let's say $15/month for six months while you save up and/or wait for the new one, wouldn't you grab it and consider it money well spent for the entertainment and enjoyment you get?

My wife LOVES this thing, and while I haven't really started toying around with it too much, I am really enjoying the way it handles mail and surfing while I rest on the couch. Might even buy some e-books!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
We got one also for Christmas. So far we love it! If a guy always worried about waiting for the new and improved version, he'd have a house full of nothing. We don't regret our purchase and will continue to enjoy it for years to come.

Aaron

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.