• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP!!! iMovie project stops midway!!

Reaction score
I have an hour long movie (photos, video clips, music, narration) made in iMovie. When trying to export the file (which I guess is "rendering" or "processing" the file, the process stops about midway through the movie. At the point where it stops, the little wheel spins and spins (have even left it spinning over night). Sometimes the iMovie software will shut down and other times, it just keeps on spinning. Some of the files for project are on my computer hard drive and some are on an external hard drive. The external hard drive was tested and is working fine. We also had the RAM replaced and it is working fine. This is a project that is a Christmas present and we desperately need help ASAP. Any thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
The computer has 45 GB free space on the hard drive. I can try it on a computer that has 70 GB of free space if you think that would help.

C

chas_m

Yes, it does sound like a space problem. I often mention (in other posts) how OS X needs a LOT of elbow room when doing things like rendering.

But perhaps we can offer further suggestions if you'll tell us exactly how you are trying to export this iMovie project?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If 45GB is a space problem, then I have to wonder what your export options are.

So, what method are you using for export? What resolution are you exporting at? Other details if you using the QuickTime option such as codecs and bit rate.

I occasionally run into a problem when I can't export. I use QuickTime Export and end up having to alter the video data rate. Magically the export works.

I would run the Console app in the utilities folder while the export is occurring. When the error happens, or as you think it is happening, review the logs in the Console app. You might gain some insight into the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.