Problems with displaying PDFs & Saving to PDF

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this is the right forum to ask, as I think the problem is related to my installation of OSX, not to a specific software:

After a system install, I usually slim down the system/hard-drive and remove most of the printer drivers from the OS's library folder. This is because I never print anything from this laptop. I do keep a few printer drivers though, i.e. the ones I know I might use on the odd occasion.

The only thing I sometimes do is to export a file as a PDF (from Word/Excel/Preview...). So usually, I go to "Print", then select "Save as PDF..."
I sometimes even have to do this with a file that IS a PDF already. (This is because some protected PDFs don't allow a "copy & paste", but they do when they're duplicated via the "Save as PDF" option.

This used to work alright last time I used the feature. But now, in "Preview" the "Save as PDF..." option is greyed out. And when I try from within Acrobat or Safari, I get this error message:
"Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

Can someone here tell me: What am I missing in the System's preferences or library folders, in order to save as pdf from within Preview or Safari?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First question - what is the existing file type you are attempting to save?

Next, you still need to provide at minimum what version of OS X you are using.

Is this a single file you're trying to save and giving you problems, or have you attempted it with multiple files of the same type?

OP
B
Reaction score
OS 10.6.5

I'm trying to open a PDF and then print it, and in the print dialogue save it back as a new pdf. This is something I've done in the past to get around the following problem:
The original pdf is password-protected, so I can't copy anything from it. Once "printed" into a new pdf, the password protection is gone. (All I want to do is copy some statistical data from the PDF into an ExCel spreadsheet).

OP
B
Reaction score
Doesn't work. The pdf's I'm using have been e-mailed to me. (Sales reports at the end of every month). Even if I open them from within Safari as a local url (file://...) and "download" them back, they're still password-protected.

In the past, I could always use the "print to pdf" trick. And on my mom's macbook it works –*but not on mine. I know it's got to do something with Acrobat or printer drivers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.