error message when emptying trash

Reaction score
when I try to empty the trash on my mbp, it gives me an error message saying that the item cannot be deleted because it is currently in use but it really isnt... anyone know how to fix this? thanks.

Reaction score
have you tried going to the apple icon at the top left and going to force quit and see if its in there? or sometimes you need to open find and at the side next to your hard drive and mobile me it will need ejecting :) hope this is helpful? im not an expert but its a couple of things to try :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
A restart usually solves this problem

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are the files in the trash coming from a USB device that is no longer connected ?
Are you running bootcamp and have deleted files inside Windows ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
J
Reaction score
i have done the restart and they are still there and there is no force eject option on the apple menu. the items were downloads that i had from the internet and the weird thing is that they are shown with that circle with the line across you know what i mean? if there are other items in the trash and i empty it, it'll give me the error message but the other items do get deleted... any other suggestions?

thanks for your help guys!

OP
J
Reaction score
i have done the restart and they are still there and there is no force eject option on the apple menu. the items were downloads that i had from the internet and the weird thing is that they are shown with that circle with the line across you know what i mean? if there are other items in the trash and i empty it, it'll give me the error message but the other items do get deleted... any other suggestions?

thanks for your help guys!

OP
J
Reaction score
okay so i figured it out... for some reason the applications had some traces of the programs running on the background.... since i didnt know what or how to view these traces, i just used the sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash command, which creates a new directory for the trash and deleted whatever traces of that program were left behind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.