• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I burn 4 movies to DVD to watch on DVD Player

Reaction score
Hi. Im in need of some good advice as I just cant find out the answer.
Any help would be appreciated.

In the past, I used a PC to convert my .avi movies to DVD. I used a software program called ConvertXtoDVD. This sofware albeit took a long time to convert was rally good. It enabled me to burn 4 movies onto DVD so i could play on a DVD player at home.

The best thing about this software is that it looked at the lenght f the movie not the size of the file. So I could burn upto 8 hours of video onto 1 disk without losing too much quality. If the lenght of time exceeded 8 hours then a message would appear and say `this has exceeded the limit, picture quality will be lower`..or words to that effect. I always clicked no as picture quality was important.

I now use a mac and I cant find any software that can do this same thing.
Can anyone recommend anything. Ive looked at Toast but when i put 4 movies (only 7 hours video) on there it says there isnt enough room on the disk (unlike convertXtoDVD).

Anyone help please??

C

chas_m

Not only can I help, I can make IMPROVE on ConvertXtoDVD's process in two DIFFERENT ways!

1. Buy an Apple TV. Who wants to spend time burning and converting anymore?? Streaming, baby! It's $99 bucks and it will change your life (if you have an HDTV, I'm assuming you do). Not just streaming, but instant renting, music, YouTube, photos and more. Amazing stuff.

2. Okay, can't buy an Apple TV and/or want to burn discs anyway? Here's method #2: buy a $30-40 DVD player that is marked that it can play DivX/XviD files on ISO discs.

Chances are quite high that your AVI movies are actually DivX/XviD codec files, so all you have to do is select "DivX disc" in Toast and throw in the AVI files. It should be able to play up to around *TEN* hours of files in that format, NO loss of picture quality and NO converting. Takes a few minutes to make the disc. Huge time-saver!

OP
M
Reaction score
smiledwerwarot

Thanks for your reply.

Option 1. Sounds great but im not in a position to do that.
Option 2. I wanna create discs for standard players and not DiX players. In case I wanna send a DVD to somenonw without a divx player. Not only that but i cant find the divX function in Toast anyways.

Thanks but im still hopin someone knows a converting software that can get 8 hours of video on it.

Cheers

C

chas_m

Popcorn can do this, but trying to fit 8 hours of video onto a disc designed for two hours of video means the quality is (IMO) horrible, like VHS tape. You may not have noticed the degradation on an older television or with uncorrected vision, but its REALLY noticeable when you use that much compression. I have some professional DVDs (from Japan) that use this technique to fit six hours onto a single DVD (not double-sided) and it's REALLY noticeable to me.

Why not simply do it properly and burn four discs? It would probably end up being not only much more watchable but take less time by not having to compress everything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Chas. I am one who really does not like any real loss of quality.

Also at Chas, I had forgotten all about Popcorn. I own a copy but it's very old. Have not used it in 3 years or more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
People still burn video to DVD? How quaint...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
People still burn video to DVD? How quaint...

You know my friend, some of us poorer folks that can't afford HDTV's and fancy stuff still have to do it the old Fashioned way!! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You know my friend, some of us poorer folks that can't afford HDTV's and fancy stuff still have to do it the old Fashioned way!! :D Grin

Want an HDTV cheap? I have a 57 inch Hitachi Rear Projection DLP TV sitting in storage I'm trying to ditch CHEAP. I mean like $300 cheap. Ok, it has a crack in the far right hand side of the screen but frankly, it's barely noticeable. Modesto isn't that far from where I live, couple of hours drive....

OP
M
Reaction score
camp,voccopho

Cheers for all your info guys. I undersand what your saying about picture quality. but seriously when i converted movies to DVD format using ConvertXtoDVD on PC the quality loss was very minimal even on my freinds old 42 inch plasma. I guess the search goes on but i will check out Popcorn.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do for sure give Popcorn a try. I have the old version and loved it. The newer one does so much more. It's made by the same people who do Toast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.