Downgrading from Osx 10.6 to 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 GHZ
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if it's possible to downgrade my mac pro quad core 2.66ghz desktop from 10.6 to 10.5? It's to do with audio software compatibility...

Also the version of 10.5 I have access to is actually a 10.5.7 CD that came with my friends macbook pro laptop - can that be installed to a desktop mac pro or just a laptop?

Any help on the process once i've backed up everything would be much appreciated,

Abdullah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Don't think you can use his disc. You would need a disc for your model or a standard OS disc. Have you contacted the vendor of the audio software and told them to get with the times?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately the mac only came with a version of snow leopard 10.6... Really annoying!

Ok well if I get a copy of the standard osx 10.5 disc is it just a straightforward wipe/install or is there a certain procedure I need to do as I'm downgrading?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I would do a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make sure you purchase the black full retail install Leopard DVD and not some silver/grey model specific disc such as your friend's which you should not use as that is illegal apart from not working.

Leopard will cost $100-150 and you will need to do a clean install, format the drive and losing anything on the drive. If the machine came with Snow Leopard discs when new, you cannot go backwards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately the mac only came with a version of snow leopard 10.6... Really annoying!

Do you know if it shipped from the factory with 10.6? If so, you likely won't be able to downgrade as older versions are unlikely to have the needed drivers to support your hardware.

I really would advise against downgrading - pursue other avenues such as getting compatible software first.

C

chas_m

Seems to me that the OP is going about this bass-ackwards. Upgrade the audio software, not the OS.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've not seen any successful stories of anyone downgrading to 10.5 on a system that shipped with 10.6.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for the advice people, I've already upgraded the audio software to the newest version and tried all the steps advised to me by the allen and heath tech team but i'm still getting the same problem. So I thought it could be snow leopard because i've seen a lot of issues people have been getting on other forums.

We don't have internet at our studio until next week so I will upgrade the OS to the newest version and fingers crossed that should sort it out. If anyone knows of any mac updates on snow leopard I should avoid for music tech issues let me know... Happy holidays!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.