Sharing iPhone's interenet with Nintendo Wii

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I have a jailbroken iPhone and have purchased a program in Cydia called MyWi that allows me to tether my phone with my computer. I can either turn my phone into a wifi hotspot, or I can tether it with my computer via a USB cable. Either way works great on my computer and the 3G download/upload speeds are faster than my cable modem (I opted for the cheapest package from my ISP). Because of this I am going to cancel my cable modem service and go strictly off my phone.

The problem is with my Nintendo Wii. It recognizes up the wifi signal from the phone, however since the wifi signal is an ad-hoc signal the Wii won't connect. As a second attempt I connected my phone to my computer (MBP) via USB, and enabled internet sharing through Airport. This time the Wii did pick up the signal from the computer and passed the connection test.

I was able to check weather and news on the Wii through this signal, however it is so slow that it does not allow me to play games through this method.

Does internet sharing severely limit internet speeds? Do you have any suggestions that would enable me to use my 3G signal to play online games on the Wii?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I
Does internet sharing severely limit internet speeds? Do you have any suggestions that would enable me to use my 3G signal to play online games on the Wii?

3G speeds are not fast enough for the Wii. You need an actual broadband connection.

Reaction score
Not to mention that the bandwidth you will use will likely be large and you are violating your agreement with your carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Agree with schweb and DaFlake. Even if you could get this to work it sounds like a disaster in the making.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G speeds are not fast enough for the Wii. You need an actual broadband connection.
I would have thought that as well, but when I tested my cable modem speed against the 3G speed on speedtest.net the 3G speeds were about 3 times faster. I've used the Wii many times on my slower cable modem without any problems. My cable modem download speeds run at about 0.75 mbps. The 3G connection tested out at about 2 mbps. Their upload speeds are similar in proportion.
Not to mention that the bandwidth you will use will likely be large and you are violating your agreement with your carrier.
This is something I wanted to measure IF it worked. The MyWi app displays a running total of MBs of data used. If it was something insane I would simply not use it on the Wii. I am, however, grandfathered into unlimited data so I don't see how I could be violating the agreement unless there's fine print somewhere I haven't read.
Agree with schweb and DaFlake. Even if you could get this to work it sounds like a disaster in the making.
Before I drop the cable modem service I'm giving this all a test to make sure nothing crazy happens. For the last month or two I've only used my phone to browse the internet on my computer and I've used maybe 3 or 4 gigs of data each month. No ill effects so far. Could be a different story with the Wii.

Reaction score

This is something I wanted to measure IF it worked. The MyWi app displays a running total of MBs of data used. If it was something insane I would simply not use it on the Wii. I am, however, grandfathered into unlimited data so I don't see how I could be violating the agreement unless there's fine print somewhere I haven't read.

Then you need to re-read your contract. You are not authorized to tether your phone as it was never offered on that contract. Thus you are violating it by doing this. Paint it how you want, but it is a fact and all of us on the unlimited contract know this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would have thought that as well, but when I tested my cable modem speed against the 3G speed on speedtest.net the 3G speeds were about 3 times faster. I've used the Wii many times on my slower cable modem without any problems. My cable modem download speeds run at about 0.75 mbps. The 3G connection tested out at about 2 mbps. Their upload speeds are similar in proportion.

First, flash-based speed tests aren't always accurate. It also depends on which servers your Wii is actually going to as to what the speed really is. You'd need to test speeds to that server, not just the one closest to you.

Also 3G connections are no where near as stable as fixed broadband connections.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you need to re-read your contract. You are not authorized to tether your phone as it was never offered on that contract. Thus you are violating it by doing this. Paint it how you want, but it is a fact and all of us on the unlimited contract know this.

First, I doubt that "all uf os on the unlimited contract know this." Most of the people I know who have iPhones are on the unlimited plan. I bet that if I asked them if tethering is against the terms of service half of them wouldn't even know what tethering is, and the other half would have to simply guess as to whether or not it is against the contract's terms.

Second, I just looked up my contract online and it is about 15 pages long. Have you seriously read the entire thing to make sure you never violate any of its terms?

I did find the part in the contract regarding tethering and you are indeed right that I am violating the contract. I also noticed that even though I am on an unlimited contract, I apparently understand that I may incur extra fees if I go over 5 GB of data. Sounds like a stupid catch-all that allows them to screw you over for using too much data. Kinda like even though my interest rate was fixed at 7.9% on my credit card, they still had the ability to change it (which they did) whenever they felt it necessary despite I never missed a payment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Also keep in ind that going over the "cap" gets VERY costly in a hurry...

Reaction score

What a bunch of hogwash. I'm answering this because is the 4th search result for wii and tethering on google and it's full of misinformation.

Internet tcpip connections do not give a **** about what speed the network is in order to connect. Try connecting to your router without the modem hooked up, bam, works just fine.

Next, try throttling your bandwidth (And I'm sure as a networking expert you'll have no problem figuring this one out ;) ) to something ridiculously slow like 100kbps, guess what? The wii will still boot and connect fine, although it will easily take several minutes to browse the web or load netflix.

Secondly, maybe you don't have 3g speeds as fast as broadband but many of us do. I get 3mbps on at&t 3g with my ipad unlimited plan and even more with sprint. Neither of which violate TOS if tethering is paid for.

Now to correctly answer this question:
From everything I've read, the wii simply hates adhoc network. Some people say they've had success with this, but most say it fails miserably. (I think they are just not sure how to setup an adhoc and are infact dedicating sharing they're lan connection from they're wifi card)

An easy solution is to usb tether your iDevice to your computer, then setup ICS with the wireless card as a separate, non-adhoc network. This lets the wii connect just fine :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.