Need more info on OWC and other SSD's for Macbook pro use

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
@idrinorbarsaku

thanks for the link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And for what it is worth my Mac Pro boots a tad under 19 seconds connected to a BenQ 22" LED display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I took the leap and ordered the OWC Data Doubler 60gb kit. I guess it is my Christmas gift to myself. I am not looking forward to a fresh install and reconfiguring all my settings and applications, but such is life.

Here's to faster boots in 2011......

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
I took the leap and ordered the OWC Data Doubler 60gb kit. I guess it is my Christmas gift to myself. I am not looking forward to a fresh install and reconfiguring all my settings and applications, but such is life.

Here's to faster boots in 2011......

I think am gonna get that as well but its good to do a clean install of snow leopard so everything run smoothly then all i will need is a external enclosure for 9.5 mm Optical Drive but the only matching one i found is from hear

maxupgrades.com: MaxConnect Optical Bay kit for MacBooks & MacBook Pros Unibody Models

i might try to run two ssd in raid0 is that any good has anyone try this before or will it kill the ssd to quick if anyone know where i can get an external enclosure for 9.5 mm Optical Drive in matching with macbook pro apart from the link above because you have to buy it together and i rather buy the ssd and data doubler from owc thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I emailed maxupgrades and asked if they would sell the enclosure seperately. So we will see I guess. There are some cases on eBay... they are functional and cheap, but unattractive. I am not going to spend much effort putting the superdrive in an enclosure though. I have other macs that I can use the optical drive on if I have to. If maxupgrades will sell it cheap (around $20), I will buy one. If not, the superdrive will be sold on eBay.

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I emailed maxupgrades and asked if they would sell the enclosure seperately. So we will see I guess. There are some cases on eBay... they are functional and cheap, but unattractive. I am not going to spend much effort putting the superdrive in an enclosure though. I have other macs that I can use the optical drive on if I have to. If maxupgrades will sell it cheap (around $20), I will buy one. If not, the superdrive will be sold on eBay.

same hear i just hope they reply back and say they can sell it like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
FYI: The MaxUpgrades kit and the OWC data doubler kit are the same exact thing! Same exact chip-set, tools, screws, bracket, EVERYTHING. You might as well buy everything from Maxupgrades, which includes the external optical enclosure for $89, which makes the external only 16 dollars, as opposed to getting the OWC dataD alone for $75, and having to live with another external for probably more money. Shipping's not included, but it still comes to about the same for my area.

Mr.Kay, Nice link you found there...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You get a discount when you order the OWC kit WITH the drive. I know that maxupgrades discounts as well, and actually the 60gb versions are the exact same price. But I wanted the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro ssd. The maxupgrades kit comes with the OCZ Vertex 2. So I gave up the free enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You get a discount when you order the OWC kit WITH the drive. I know that maxupgrades discounts as well, and actually the 60gb versions are the exact same price. But I wanted the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro ssd. The maxupgrades kit comes with the OCZ Vertex 2. So I gave up the free enclosure.

Oh, ok. You did good! That's what I would've gone with too if they had those DEEP discounts more than a month ago....dang...that's a sweet deal! They've had the same price on maxupgrades the same since back when I got it, but my OCZ was a 32gb ssd at the same price, not a 60gb. The OWC was 200+ when I was looking around. Prices seem to have dropped pretty fast!

Makes me wonder though. What's the real price for the data doubler?

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI: The MaxUpgrades kit and the OWC data doubler kit are the same exact thing! Same exact chip-set, tools, screws, bracket, EVERYTHING. You might as well buy everything from Maxupgrades, which includes the external optical enclosure for $89, which makes the external only 16 dollars, as opposed to getting the OWC dataD alone for $75, and having to live with another external for probably more money. Shipping's not included, but it still comes to about the same for my area.

Mr.Kay, Nice link you found there...lol

lol i didn't find the link some one from the post gave the link don't need any cred but was in a hurry and i posted it like that sorry my mistake

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think am gonna get the owc ssd 60gb and then get the rest from maxupgrades but it looks like i'll have to pay quite a lot for vat,custom cause am in the uk **** hope there was a easy way of getting them together then pay separate vat,custom

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will most likely get the new macbook pro 13in 2011 model when it comes out and give this to my brother hopefully if it comes out with Intel’s Sandy Bridge cpu and a Radeon HD 6000M gpu and ddr5 ram on a macbook pro 13in or else i'll just wait for the macbook pro 13in 2012 model hopefully after this upgrade am doing on my mid 2009 macbook pro model i should be fine for another 2years lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think am gonna get the owc ssd 60gb and then get the rest from maxupgrades but it looks like i'll have to pay quite a lot for vat,custom cause am in the uk **** hope there was a easy way of getting them together then pay separate vat,custom

From reading reviews, the one's on ebay aren't bad. This is a quick search of the eBay UK listings:
optibay items - Get great deals on Computing items on eBay UK!
They're pretty much all the same, and would go for the 11.99 one. It's worth a try. The only problem I've read about them is with people having fitment issues on old pre-uni macbook pros. Not sure about the SSD though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the package discount, the OWC adaptor is only about $30. I will pay the extra for the OWC's support and warranty. Well worth it in my opinion.

The prices have dropped quickly. The same setup I paid $179 for was $250 just 6 or 7 weeks ago. There are rumors of a new generation of SSDs hitting Q1 of 2011. Wait and see I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.