OSX 10.4.11 New fonts are crashing Firefox AND Adobe Acrobat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power PC G5 OSX 10.5.8
Sorry, that should be 10.4.11 up top.

Been a lurker on these parts for a while, whenever I needed a random problem solved. I've been a Mac user for 15+ years now, and I've always been able to fix any issues I've had. This one has me stymied.

On Monday, I installed a massive new font package. I'm having some very odd issues now, and while I've done a number of things to solve it, I'm still having problems. I'll go into as much detail as I can (probably too much), since an old friend of mine who's a tech used to tell me that he was able to solve problems a lot easier when he knew all the facts. Here goes!

The issue was first noticed when I opened up Firefox, and it was duplicated in Safari. A considerable amount of text was switched to a nearly unreadable font, and Firefox was now crashing if I tried to do anything except navigate away from my homepage (which is just the Gmail login.) Also, Adobe Reader and Acrobat were now crashing (they would open the first page of the document, but I couldn't click any menus or buttons) I was able to find out what this font was, and I deleted it. This issue showed up with another font, and I deleted that too. I then ran a clean up utility (I'm away from my machine, so I don't have the exact name) which repaired permissions, etc.

I opened Firefox, and it seemed to work perfectly (actually faster than before.) Then I tried to open it a second time, and it was back to crashing. Same with the Adobe applications.

I ran the clean up utility again, but it didn't solve the issue. I ran Font Doctor (I only heard about it AFTER this issue came up), and it did find a few duplicate fonts, and some other font issues, which I dealt with. Those applications still won't run, though. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, and that only made it worse (it won't even open the home page.)

I've noticed something unusual. Under my font folder, is a font disabled folder. In that folder is Arial, Georgia, Comic Sans...the web fonts. I tried dragging the fonts from that folder into the main font folder, and it wouldn't let me, saying they were in use. Should that folder be totally deleted?

I've searched the forums and seen some advice that I'm going to try when I get home tonight, but all the threads addressed only the browser issue. I'm really nervous about the Reader/Acrobat problem. I absolutely need those to work.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I take pride on always being able to fix my computers, and the fact that I'm stopped cold on this one has me paniced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I don't think a lot of people can provide support on an Operating System that has not yet been released ( OS X 10.8.11 )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power PC G5 OSX 10.5.8
Sorry, it should be OSX 10.4.11.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Edited title for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.