Easy switching between displayes?

Reaction score
I am considering an iMac. One of the main uses with my current Windows PC is playing movies and videoes on my LCD TV. In windows you can simply press windows-key+P to switch between displayes wich is fast and easy. Is there a similar easy way to switch on the imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You can set your displays to show the same image (mirror) or to be used as an extended desktop setup. Either one is very easy to use and setup. I connect my MBP to my 52" Sammy all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I know on my MBP if I keep lowering the brightness it shuts off. I also think shift-control-eject might do exactly what you want, but I don't have an iMac and external display to test. Also, pretty sure you could use Shades (Shades | Software | Charcoal Design) or something similar (black background) to also achieve an acceptable solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes but I dont want the screen on the iMac to be on when the TV is active.

Is the Windows PC you're referring to a notebook computer? I don't remember any of my Windows desktops being able to switch to an external display via the Windows Key + P. Remember, the iMac is a desktop computer not a notebook.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can completely shut off the screen on an iMac when attaching an external monitor or TV. You can certainly do it with a MacBook Pro or MacBook by using clamshell mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can keep the Displays preferences menu in your menu bar for quick access. I switch back and forth between having the same image on both screens and having the external monitor be an extension of my desktop.

To do what you want to do, you'd just turn mirroring on and turn down the brightness on your iMac to zero. Done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Can someone try shift-control-eject?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On my MacBook Pro pressing shift-control-eject momentarily and then releasing it darkens both screens.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Slydude said, pressing Shift Control Eject darkens both monitors. Just tried it with my MacBook and Samsung external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.