Old windows laptop as Time Machine "capsule"

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering using an old windows XP as a time machine capsule (with a large external HD connected to it) And I was wondering if there are any issues with this that people can think of.

It would be connected to the network via an ethernet Cable on a Squeezebox media player which then connects to the rest of the network via Wifi (apparently this player has a Bridge function allowing other devices on its Ethernet port to bridge to the wifi network)

1) Would the mac use this windows laptop’s HD as a time machine volume? I guess I would have to set up some form of home sharing.
2) I need to backup over 1.2TB of data. I have heard that time machine mustn’t be stopped such as sleeping the PC on it’s first backup. Is this true? As I can imagine it would take days to make the initial backup. The last time I backed up this volume on my PC was with a SATA connection and it took 19hours then.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine needs to have a drive formatted as HFS Extended Journaled and using the GUID partitioning scheme. The WiKi gives a good explanation of requirements. LINK

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It does seem harder than I had anticipated. I am wondering if maybe just dishing out for a Time Capsule now is the best option. I didn't really want to spend all that money, but maybe it is the best option.

The only catch is one that surprises me with Apple. Apple suggests that a time machine backup should be double the size of what you wish to backup. Since my iMac has an SSD (256GB) + 2TB HD, the 2TB Time Capsule isn't enough really. So I have a question here.

* Is it possible to upgrade the Time Capsule HD with a larger one, say the new 3TB HD's that are currently on the market?

I guess I could whack an extra external drive through the USB port onto the time capsule, but this starts to become messy as I would have two devices with two power cables and connected, plus of cause the extra power usage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.