Macbook Air HDD upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 in Screen
Hi all, what are my options re upgrading the Macbook Air HDD?

What is the maximum size HDD I can get?
Is the Macbook Air SSD compatible?

TIA :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is the newest model i'm afraid pretty much none, if anything is upgradable.
MBA's are very restricted because of the thin design and custom made components.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
OP
darkan9el
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol that's an ouch!

re the mac, didn't think it would be that easy, always a compromise to be made when ya have slim products, I'd read somewhere that the HDD was about 7.6mm thick as opposed to the normal 9mm ish thick of a standard 2.5" HDD

OP
darkan9el
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can upgrade the hard drive.

See this link: For those with slow 1.8" PATA drives wanting SATA...

Interesting post s2odin, will enjoy reading that, idrinorbarsaku, I've literally just been reading that post lol! great minds think alike eh! lol!

The main reason for the question was because I was asked if the MBAir HDD could be upgraded to accommodate more files. My immediate retort to that question was "that isn't going to be either an easy job, cost effective and effective is so much as you gain a substantial amount of space; the bang to buck ratio comes in here.

Unfortunately the MBAir has this flaw of having to attach devices in order for it to function adequately, personally, I would have gone for the Macbook Pro, a far more practical option in my eyes.

but in light of the info Ive read so far the only really practical, space/cost option is an external drive in the 2.5 format.

I've looked on Scan.co.uk and I looked at the SDD's but they are still too much to warrant spending and the capacities are still too small to compete with SATA II HDD's so again on Scan.co.uk I came up with an ICYBOX enclosure and a WD HDD 1tb

I think bang for buck this is a good deal and a viable option, to me the only alternative is to get rid of the MBAir and get a MBPro then you can do some practical tweaking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.