Internet not working in bootcamp

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had to install Windows on my iMac for my accounting software.

I currently have OS X 10.5.8 with every software update possible
I was able to create the required partition on my hard drive, and proceeded to install a genuine Windows XP Home SP3. After completing the installation I ran my OS X leopard disc, which (supposedly) installed all the required windows drivers. After finishing the install I rebooted in Windows but my internet doesn't work. No wireless connection, no connection via wire to my modem. In the task manager i've tried to upgrade the driver but it can't find the proper one anywhere. A number of items are indicated with the yellow exclamation marks beside them. The sound doesn't work either.
I'm running out of options here...please help...THX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Run the windows update located in Start Menu > All Programs, see if it can find the required software for you.
Also could you let us know what mac computer you are using?

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
I have a 20" iMac 2.66 GHz with intel Core 2 Duo processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 bought in 2009.
I can't run windows update because I can't get on the net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Pop the windows disk in and click on the wireless device with the yellow exclamation mark on it, click update driver and point it towards the windows disk, see if that helps

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Leopard DVD should have all the necessary drivers to give you wireless, sound, and the proper video. Put your Leopard DVD back in while Windows XP is running and try again. You may have to manually run the executable program from the Windows File Explorer in order to do it. It sounds like the driver installation did not work the first time.

Once you get on the net you can then update the Boot Camp software to the latest from Apple.

OP
N
Reaction score
I've tried the driver upgrade in the task manager and selected the windows XP disc as a source, but it didn't find the required drivers. I've also tried to install the drivers from the Leopard disc manually, but when I click on each driver file it doesn't do anything. It seems like the drivers from the Leopard disc only run when I insert the disc, and autorun installs everything automatically.
Is the driver for the ethernet card, or the wireless connection available on the net, so I can download it to a flash card?

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm ready to lose it on this thing. I've followed the installation instructions to a "T". I still don't have ethernet driver, wireless internet, sound, or iShight. I've already deleted the NTFS partition, and reinstalled everything. After completing the WinS@#$-t installation I ran the Leopard disc to install the required drivers. It said that the drivers were successfully installed. What the f@#$k am I doing wrong???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the Leopard DVD the correct one for your iMac? The original install DVD that came with the machine, or a black retail version of Leopard? I ask because it's beginning to sound like you are not using the correct DVD.

If the hardware tree in Windows XP is showing exclamation marks over the hardware (wireless, sound card, etc) then the drivers are either not installing or they are not the correct ones.

OP
N
Reaction score
You know I think you're right. I bought the iMac at the end of 2008. About a year ago I've purchased Leopard (black retail version) and upgraded both my iMac and my MBP. The original installation discs that came with the iMac is 10.4.2. Do you think it's possible that the Leopard that I bought doesn't have the proper windows drivers? If so what should I do? I could go back to Tiger, and then I'll have all the proper drivers for windows. Will bootcamp and windows run on tiger?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm confused. If you bought your iMac at the end of 2008, it should have already come pre-installed with Leopard. That is, if you bought it new and not used.

Tiger disk sets do not have any drivers for Windows so that's not an option. Drivers and boot camp are included with Leopard and Snow Leopard only.

If you are using a Leopard DVD for your iMac and it's the correct one for that model, it should work OK. It can also be a black Leopard retail DVD - that too will work. Or, a Snow Leopard DVD ($29) will likewise work.

However, if you're attempting to use a Leopard DVD for another model of iMac or MacBook, it will not install the correct drivers.

Also, if your iMac is an older model that came pre-installed with Tiger, the only Leopard DVD that will work to install drivers is a black retail DVD. If that's the problem, just buy a Snow Leopard install DVD from Best Buy for $29.

OP
N
Reaction score
I was comparing different iMacs and noticed that the unit I bought should have been sold with Leopard, not Tiger. I bought it at the end of 2008 from Future Shop. So the discs (10.4.2) that they gave me are useless. Now if I buy Snow Leopard will it have all the proper windows drivers for my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I was comparing different iMacs and noticed that the unit I bought should have been sold with Leopard, not Tiger. I bought it at the end of 2008 from Future Shop. So the discs (10.4.2) that they gave me are useless. Now if I buy Snow Leopard will it have all the proper windows drivers for my iMac?

You may or may not I am not 100% sure. I have a snow leopard disc that I purchased for 29$ from the Apple Store and bootcamp drivers loaded fine for windows 7 off of it (My macbook pro is also a 2009 model). Though i'd invest in a thumb drive. 16 gb at walmart for 16 dollars canadian i might add... Download the bootcamp drivers from apples website , stick em on the thumb drive and shove it in your usb port and save yourself the extra coin, Unless you really want 10.6 which imo it is a good investment :)

OP
N
Reaction score
I've downloaded boot camp 2.1 previously, and saved it to a USB stick. When I installed it in Win XP I was still out of luck. It didn't have the proper drivers. You must have downloaded boot camp 3.0 for Snow Leopard, which could be a more up to date driver data base.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
You can find boot camp 3.0 drivers via Torrent sites as apple does not post them on they're websites. I had a few issues with the 2.1 drivers in Windows 7 but none in Windows XP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To rippingviper

Please do not recommend downloading Apple drivers from Torrent sites as that is illegal. We do not allow discussion of illegal activities in these forums. Apple does not make the Boot Camp 3.0 driver set available for download as a separate item. Boot Camp 3.1 and 3.2 are available for download but you must already have Boot Camp 3.0 installed.

To n_frankie

Your only real legal least expensive option is to purchase Snow Leopard from either Best Buy or your local Apple Store and use it to install drivers.

Let us know.

OP
N
Reaction score
Solution=Snow Leopard. I should have spent that $30 on Snow Leopard at the beginning. It would have saved me some headache. I can't believe how simple it was. After repartitioning my hard drive, and having problems booting the computer up from the retail version of Leopard (long story.....)I installed Snow Leopard and everything works like a swiss clock. Windows XP installed without any glitch with all the required drivers.
Thanks Guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. I suspected all along that the installation disk you were using was causing the problem. Snow Leopard is best anyway. Have fun and return often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.