Lost the anti reflective coating on my imac

Reaction score
I don't know what possessed me once to clean the screen with rubbing alcohol once. I guess because I sneezed on the screen and couldn't get it wiped off with the micro fiber velvet cloth alone. I also have issues with dandruff and nothing gets that off once it is stuck on the screen, even using water with the cloth it just smears.

Anyways, the anti reflective coating is gone. I see everything reflected back on my screen, even items on my desk. I wonder if there is a way to get that fixed? Is there something I can do, if anything? I really can't take the computer anywhere to be repaired. The thought of lugging my 27" imac on the bus to the nearest repair place makes me cringe.

I'm really hoping there is something I can do. I tried looking it up online to the point of frustration.

Reaction score
Nope, you destroyed it. The only way to get it back is replace the screen or get one of those that you apply yourself.

LCD Protective Films | Photodon.com

Here is one, but I have never used it. From this point forward but use alcohol to clean your screen. You are better off use a moist cloth or buy some screen cleaner at an electronics shop.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ack! I was afraid of that. :( The screen itself seems okay minus the coating (though dust is getting under it). I'd rather just spray or rub a coating over it than replacing the whole unit.

Anyways I'll bookmark the site. At $65, it is not something I can get at this moment, but something I'll keep in mind in the future after I save up some more.

As far as cleaning supplies for electronics, yes I am lacking. I should have gotten something before I got the computer, so then I wouldn't be resorting to grabbing whatever was the closest. I was using a streak free window cleaning solution. It seemed to help with the streaks, though I don't know about the coating. I still believe the rubbing alcohol was what did it in. After that one treatment I noticed no more of the green shine.

Reaction score
Do shop around for those coatings. You will likely find it cheaper elsewhere. I went to a Sony Style Store and saw a very nice privacy coating for less than that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I will. Oh well, lesson learned about the cleaning. I want something that is not a sticker like material. I have nightmares from putting something like that on a pda device. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it without air bubbles. Visualizing that on my 27" monitor...sends shivers down my spine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.