Trouble with ZIPEG

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a very annoying trouble. Every time I try to unzip a password protected file using zipeg, it says that the file is corrupt. I know the password, I copy-paste it, I even type it letter by letter but the program still refuses to open it.

I try the same process in a pc and the rar opens.

What is the problem? Can anyone give an idea?

thx

OP
C
Reaction score
It may also "accept" initially the password but during unzipping it stops saying "wrong password (?)"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried using another decompression program? The Unarchiver is recommended by quite a few around here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I dumped Zipeg, because I didn't like the way it phoned home every time it opened. Definitely something shady going on there...

But I digress. I haven't tried The Unarchiver, but have been a big fan of BetterZip - it costs a few bucks, but is WELL worth the money... haven't run into an archive it doesn't handle with aplomb.

Reaction score
As discussed in
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/zipeg/pGRr1dgkYuQ
it has been fixed in Zipeg 2.9.2.1253

New version will be up and running on main http://www.zipeg.com shortly.

Regards

Zipeg

Hi there

I have a very annoying trouble. Every time I try to unzip a password protected file using zipeg, it says that the file is corrupt. I know the password, I copy-paste it, I even type it letter by letter but the program still refuses to open it.

thx

Reaction score
"Definitely NOTHING shady going on there"

Zipeg checks for updates every month and once a month only.
It reads a single update.txt files from www zipeg com downloads location and does nothing else. If you want, you are welcome to check out the source code for the update on zipeg.googlecode.com it is Open Source Software after all.

And you can turn check for updates off in Zipeg preferences and Zipeg will never touch the internet again.

Every time you start you Mac or even slide open your iPhone it sends hundreds of packets all around the world. You don't call is "shady" or do you?
Do you use Apple Software Updates? Mac App Store? iTunes? They all do collect personal info and none of them is open source - just to be on the fair side.

Please verify you facts before you spook other people.

Sincerely yours

Leo the Zipeg shepherd.

I dumped Zipeg, because I didn't like the way it phoned home every time it opened. Definitely something shady going on there...

But I digress. I haven't tried The Unarchiver, but have been a big fan of BetterZip - it costs a few bucks, but is WELL worth the money... haven't run into an archive it doesn't handle with aplomb.

Reaction score
It the file that causes trouble is small and publicly available I can test Zipeg with it and see how I can fix Zipeg. Feel free to contact me at
support [at] zipeg.com

Leo

Hi there

thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.