Re Format Mac OS X

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a new macbook pro 3 months ago. It had Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with Quicktime X of course. I tried to install Quicktime 7 by erasing Quicktime X by I erased everything from the library and now I can't get Quicktime 7 nor install back Quicktime X. I tried using the Install Disc to re install the operating system but I get a warning that says: Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed in this computer. I think it is because I've done some updates on the operating system and now I'm on 10.6.5,...
Does anyone knows how can I format the computer without using the Install Disc? Or is there a way to downgrade from 10.6.5 to 10.6.3?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You should be able to do an Archive and install by booting from your original Snow Leopard install DVD. Is that what you're doing or are you trying to reinstall without booting from the DVD?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
I am actually trying to install it from the DVD. But before I get started I get the message "MAC OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed in this computer..." Something like that.
I think that's because my DVD has the 10.6.3 version and due to two updates I've done the version my computer has the 10.6.5...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't answer my question... are you first booting the machine with your Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD?

C

chas_m

And why would you think that you have to erase QuickTime X to install QuickTime 7? Even if that were true -- and it isn't -- why wouldn't you just let the installer handle that?

I don't think we've gotten the whole story here ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed in this computer.

I've still yet to see anyone report the above except in two circumstances.

1. You're using a grey disc that shipped with a machine other than the one you're trying to install it on.

2. Using a retail copy of OS X that is older than the machine. For example, attempting to install 10.4 or 10.5 on a machine that shipped with 10.6.

OP
J
Reaction score
1. I am booting my machine with the 10.6.3 DVD (holding the c key as I turn it on). But I get the same message "Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed in this computer."
2. The erasing the Quicktime X issue was what got me into this whole mess, I know it was pretty dumb.
3. I am using the grey disk shipped with my computer. It's 10.6.3 version, but I have the 10.6.5 version in my computer due to two updates I've done, do you think that's why I can't use it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something is not right... as bobtomay stated above. And that's the reason why I asked if you were actually booting the machine with your original SL DVD. From what you posted back, there is no reason why it should not have worked - provided of course you are in fact using the correct DVD.

How about trying this for us? Reboot the machine again with your original SL DVD (10.6.3) but instead of holding the C key, hold down the "OPTION" key as soon as you hear the chime and continue holding until you see the Apple appear with the spinning circle beneath it. When a picture (icon) of the disk appears, press enter. Let's see what happens.

3. I am using the grey disk shipped with my computer. It's 10.6.3 version, but I have the 10.6.5 version in my computer due to two updates I've done, do you think that's why I can't use it?

No.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.