MacBook Pro 13 inch VS. 15 inch

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well for christmas, my dad has said he will get me a 13 inch macbook pro, which, don't get me wrong, I'm completely syked about. This will be my first laptop. However, my friend has a 15 inch, and I noticed the significant difference in size while looking at them two together, also the speakers that are right next to the keyboard on the 15". Now, I'm fine I geuss with the 13, and I'm not trying to seem like a spoiled brat, but I'd do just about ANYTHING for the 15 inch. The problem is my dad says that $1700 for my first laptop is way too much, and doesn't see why I need the 15. i say, my mom's original macbook is 13 inches, so whats the point of getting the same size if its a pro? I even offered to pay for half of it, but my rents won't have anything of that, saying its a christmas gift. Do you guys have any advice on anything more I could say to my dad to maybe persuade him to get me the 15 inch? Any advantages the 15 has that the 13 doesnt? Anything at all really, even like keyboard size, cuz I'm a big dude lol. I'm in highschool right now, so basically what I would use the macbook would be for:

Homework
Surfing the web (facebook, email)
Music
Movies
Some garageband stuff
Gaming (2-3 games such as WoW, Counter strike source, etc.)

So anything that you guys have that could convince a guy thats not too into electronics. I'm not asking for top of line from him eitheir on the 15 inch, like the lowest of the low for it, i5 processor, 2.4 GHz

If it turns out that I'm definitely gonna get the 13 inch, is that a particularly bad thing in your guys opinion? Like will playing games and watching movies suck because of the smaller screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The 13" is a great machine maybe only slightly lesser performance than the lowest 15" you can get. Really in your situation I would look at screen size. I'm sure the games will look nicer on the 15" but will play just as well on the 13"

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey guys. Well for christmas, my dad has said he will get me a 13 inch macbook pro,

Be thankful with what your dad is buying you and forget about the 15" MBP. Save the purchase of the 15" MBP for the future. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
as a minor receiving a computer as a gift, you're not gonna get much sympathy from us old people who cannot relate... we didnt get gifts like this at your age when you consider a desktop cost well above $2k and laptops didnt yet exist.

when we were teenaged nerds, we wanted 2 things in high school: a computer and a car, in that order. and pretty much all of us had to buy our first one of each.

not at all saying you're spoiled. just saying we cannot relate in any way other than feeling, even to this day, that a free computer is one thing you never complain about, even if it's a Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
The 15" is nice from a screen standpoint, but lugging that thing around can get pretty inconvenient really quick. It gets heavy and it is bulky... not fun when you are carrying it around in a bag for long periods of time. Two of my three young ones have 13", the oldest has a 15" ONLY because she uses her MBP for intense graphic arts purposes at work. She has often told me that otherwise, she too would prefer the 13".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The 15" is nice from a screen standpoint, but lugging that thing around can get pretty inconvenient really quick. It gets heavy and it is bulky... not fun when you are carrying it around in a bag for long periods of time. Two of my three young ones have 13", the oldest has a 15" ONLY because she uses her MBP for intense graphic arts purposes at work. She has often told me that otherwise, she too would prefer the 13".

I have a 15 inch, and I have no problems carrying the thing around. It doesn't feel too big or too bulky or too heavy. I think it's the perfect sacrifice for screen and speaker size as well as portability. And yes, I bring it with me to plenty of places.

My point? To each their own...what's a hassle or problem for one person, isn't for some one else. Just get what works for YOU!

P.S. The perfect solution? Get a 17 inch for home use, and a 13 inch for mobility ;) teehehe

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a 15 inch, and I have no problems carrying the thing around. It doesn't feel too big or too bulky or too heavy. I think it's the perfect sacrifice for screen and speaker size as well as portability. And yes, I bring it with me to plenty of places.

My point? To each their own...what's a hassle or problem for one person, isn't for some one else. Just get what works for YOU!

P.S. The perfect solution? Get a 17 inch for home use, and a 13 inch for mobility ;) teehehe

lol yes thats go out and just spend 4 grande

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
lol yes thats go out and just spend 4 grande

Oh I know right?!?! ;)

Would love that solution, but whew....it's not a cheap one. Would rather buy a decked out iMac (other than ram do that on your own) and then a 13 inch.

OP
M
Reaction score
Got the 15 inch haha, and yes gaming is so nice, I got the graphics on very high with no problems :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.