empty file in the bin taking too long...please help

Reaction score
it is just happen recently. It is taking for age to secured empty a file from the bin. Can any one help me with this?...is that something to do with the setting or my macbook pro has some error and how can i fix this problem?...appreciate any comment...thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
is it a large file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nothing needs to be fixed .... Secure Empty Trash takes a long time, depending on the number of files in the trash and the size of the files.

A fundamental question would be ..... Do you need " Secure Empty Trash " or can you just use " Empty Trash ".

Cheers ... McBie

OP
T
Reaction score
the file is about 4 GB...what is the deferent between secure Empty Trash and Empty Trash?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Secure empty trash overwrites the data which makes it harder/impossible to recover with any tools.

For most of the stuff we all delete... old unimportant docs, apps we don't want, movie to get rid of, etc.; secure delete is overkill imho. For financial records and other sensitive data, then maybe a good idea.

You can turn this off by opening Finder - Preferences - Advanced - uncheck Empty trash securely.

You can still use the Secure empty trash in individual circumstances direct from the Finder menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.