Upgrade from OS 10.2.8 to tiger

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.

Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why.

What does it tell you?

OP
T
Reaction score
Upgrade from 10.2.8 to tiger

Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

- Nick

Hi Nick, no it is an original Black OS X Tiger install DVD.
I get a message after it starts to verify dvd disk saying there is a problem and to try again, which I did to no avail, the same message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?

Reaction score
Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not a Tiger Upgrade disc is it? Will upgrade from Panther only.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, Tiger first does a verify on the Tiger DVD. If that fails you will get that message. You can Skip the verify of the DVD but what I would do first is check the DVD for any smudges or scratches. Otherwise you might get an error later in the install.

The verify issue could also be caused by a DVD drive in your Mac that is wearing out and having issues reading part of the DVD.

What are the specs on your Mac?

OP
T
Reaction score
You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?

Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.

OP
T
Reaction score
Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.

Thanks, I did not check to see if the drive is journaled or not . I'll try that, thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like I said in my post above Tiger DOES verify the DVD before it installs. I have seen the verify fail on many systems. Mostly the DVD drive or a dirty DVD. The rest is in my post above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.

Your place of employment has one Mac. They bought a disc to upgrade it to Tiger. You're trying to install it on your own computer as well, from that same disc. I think you'll see a little padlock soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought this was a Black Retail DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.