iBook G4 purchase advice

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty familiar with computers in General, I built my desktop running Windows 7, I've played around with OS X and Linux, even had a Classic machine once...but I need a little advice on a possible purchase.

I'm looking for something that is performance on par with a netbook? I had one (a netbook) before but I ended up breaking it, but what I'd be using this laptop for would be internet surfing, word processing, and music/movie playing (not HD though).

I found a used 12" iBook G4 through a reseller near me, with these specs:

Model: M9623LL/A
CPU: 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
RAM: 256MB PC2100 (266MHz)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

Would it hold up? The only thing I think could be a problem is movie playing...I'm not sure though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The purchase price of this iBook would be nice to know. No need over-paying for a 5-6 year-old laptop.

-Nick

C

chas_m

That's the best model G4 iBook there is (I think) and once you max out the RAM (because the OS isn't even going to run in 256MB) it's a perfectly serviceable little machine apart from Flash videos.

I'm wondering if you didn't consider an iPad? Or a more recent (than the iBook) Mac mini?

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I wasn't away of any fairly cheap iPads, money is kinda tight otherwise I probably would have considered it back at the beginning of the year when I bought the Dell Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.