Imac i3 running slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Lately my imac has been slower n molasses. EVERYTHING takes like 3 seconds to complete. Any click is exceedingly slow. I've updated everything, restarted a few times, and closed everything not essential. Its still just slow. It didn't start out this way. It used to be a lot faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you done any maintenance lately ?? Sounds like it needs a clean up.
You can either Repair Permissions via Disk Utility
Or
Download Oynx or MainMenu 1.7.4 and give it a good clean up. Oynx is a free App and make sure you get the version that pertains to your .v OS. If you get the wrong one it could do more damage than good. Then all you need to do is run the maintenance scripts and sit back until its done.
MainMenu is is now a paid App but that link i gave you gives you the FREE version of 1.7.4 It still is a really good tool. I own the Upgraded paid version as i like the job it does and is easy to use.
If you get main menu goto BatchTasks~Configure and uncheck Spotlight Reindex and Remove .DS_Store Files Once done Execute ....

Hope it helps some

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I went with MainMenu and its MUUUUUUUUUCH FASTER!!!!

Thank you TattoedMac, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I'll probably pay for the full version, I have no problem supporting stuff that works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Did you find out what the source of your iMac's slowdown was?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Did you find out what the source of your iMac's slowdown was?

Seriously? Its in the posts above us.

Apparently it was some type of 'maintenance/house cleaning' type stuff that needed to be done. TattooedMac let me know that was the case and suggested the product MainMenu to cure it. Apparently its a program that does said 'maintenance/house cleaning' once you install it. (I'm just repeating what is already in the above posts so I'm kinda weirded out now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Seriously? Its in the posts above us.

Apparently it was some type of 'maintenance/house cleaning' type stuff that needed to be done. TattooedMac let me know that was the case and suggested the product MainMenu to cure it. Apparently its a program that does said 'maintenance/house cleaning' once you install it. (I'm just repeating what is already in the above posts so I'm kinda weirded out now).

No need to be snappy. You posted that MainMenu made your iMac faster, but you never specified what the specific cause of your iMac's slowdown was. "maintenance/house cleaning' type stuff" is a little vague, and I was looking for something more specific in hopes of preventing such a slowdown on my system. Geez.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Sorry, haven't been to bed yet. I need to get some sleep.

Perfectly valid question you asked. I have no answer, because its all over my head and I don't understand it. All I know is the program worked and I would highly recommend it to you as a regular maintenance program (even though I don't actually know what that means).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.