Finally got ibook!

C

catchawave

My ibook is finally here! I'm typing on it now. Lots to learn on it - new stuff etc. I'm not sure I like Safari tho. I'm used to Firefox. Is anyone else using Safari? What's with the bookmarks... Unless I'm doing something wrong but with Firefox, if you just click on bookmarks, you get a drop down with all the bookmarks. With Safari, I have to hit show all bookmarks and then find what I want. YUCK!
Also... how do I import my mailboxes from my emac? I have several separate mailboxes with saved stuff that I want on the ibook. I can't burn anything off the emac as it doesn't have a burner.
It might explain it in the owners manual but, what is the Apple VGA display adapter cord for?

OP
I

iMe

Congrats on your iBook!!.......Does the new graphics card allow for the "ripple" affect on dashboard?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
catchawave said:
My ibook is finally here! I'm typing on it now. Lots to learn on it - new stuff etc. I'm not sure I like Safari tho. I'm used to Firefox. Is anyone else using Safari? What's with the bookmarks... Unless I'm doing something wrong but with Firefox, if you just click on bookmarks, you get a drop down with all the bookmarks. With Safari, I have to hit show all bookmarks and then find what I want. YUCK!
Also... how do I import my mailboxes from my emac? I have several separate mailboxes with saved stuff that I want on the ibook. I can't burn anything off the emac as it doesn't have a burner.
It might explain it in the owners manual but, what is the Apple VGA display adapter cord for?

Congrats on the Ibook.

Safari's bookmarks work very much like Firefox. you click on bookmarks they drop down. Are you adding them to the right place? Mine go down and scroll for ever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the vga adapter is so you can use a larger monitor with you iBook. i have a 36" monitor at work, and i have yet to try it, but i will let you know how it looks sunday.

OP
C

catchawave

dtravis7 said:
Congrats on the Ibook.

Safari's bookmarks work very much like Firefox. you click on bookmarks they drop down. Are you adding them to the right place? Mine go down and scroll for ever!

Geeze - I wonder what I'm doing wrong?? that's what I was expecting - for them to just drop down. Under bookmarks I have: show all bookmarks, add bookmark, add bookmark folder, and then bookmarks bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
catchawave said:
Geeze - I wonder what I'm doing wrong?? that's what I was expecting - for them to just drop down. Under bookmarks I have: show all bookmarks, add bookmark, add bookmark folder, and then bookmarks bar.

i use the bookmark bar for all of that. it is easier.

OP
C

catchawave

iMe said:
Congrats on your iBook!!.......Does the new graphics card allow for the "ripple" affect on dashboard?

not sure what the "ripple" effect is. Do you mean, kind of like a see-thru type window, on top of another?

OP
C

catchawave

Also, my battery came already fully charged. it was green already and at 99%. Do I still need to calibrate it by leaving it plugged in overnight? Right now I'm on battery only and it's at 92% and dropping kind of fast. Not sure how fast the %'s should drop.

OP
F

Fallooza

catchawave said:
not sure what the "ripple" effect is. Do you mean, kind of like a see-thru type window, on top of another?
no when ya put a new widget up does it ripple the screen

OP
C

catchawave

Fallooza said:
no when ya put a new widget up does it ripple the screen

Ah -- I don't know yet. All I've done so fair is just open up the icon. I haven't played around with it yet.

Also, I found out what I didn't do with the bookmarks. I didn't place them in the menu. DUH!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
catchawave said:
Ah -- I don't know yet. All I've done so fair is just open up the icon. I haven't played around with it yet.

Also, I found out what I didn't do with the bookmarks. I didn't place them in the menu. DUH!

I was pretty sure that is what was going on with Safari. I did the same thing the first time and with Firefox also. Saved them the wrong place.

OP
H

Harryc

iMe said:
Congrats on your new iBook!.
I helped a friend setup one of the new iBooks the other day, and it did have the ripple effect on Dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
congratulations! ibooks rule!

OP
A

Alcoholica

Congrats! Mine turned up Friday. Opening that box for the first time, especially when you've never used a Mac before, is a great feeling.

OP
F

Fallooza

Harryc said:
Congrats on your new iBook!.
I helped a friend setup one of the new iBooks the other day, and it did have the ripple effect on Dashboard.
thanks! i was wondering if it did. my old one didnt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 2GB
I just got an ibook and I can confirm that it does in fact "RIPPLE"!

OP
T

Tel

catchawave said:

Once you get used to Safari bookmarks, you realize how easy they are.

Clicking the bookmark icon in the Safari window will show your main bookmarks. This will be displayed in the whole Safari window, this is where you should sort all of your bookmarks and search though your archives.

As you can imagine, this would be a pain to find bookmarks that you use regularly, such as forums. So, create a new folder called "forums," (or whatever you wish) and while in the bookmarks screen, drag the folder to the icon at the top of your folder list called "bookmarks bar," this will create a menu called "forums,' (or whatever you named your folder) which will contain all the bookmarks you added. It also updates any RSS feeds that you have in them and tells you how many unread articles you have.

On top of this,there is a "bookmarks menu," which will fill bookmarks into the "bookmarks" menu at the top of your screen. I personally add all of my bookmarks to the bookmarks menu (because its easier to press cmd+d then hit enter so I can cary on browsing with no fuss) then I sort all the bookmarks from the menu into my bookmarks window when its more convenient for me.

OP
W

WeirdMorph

Finally got my firs mac and it`s iBook, it`s not new it`s iBook G3 500 HDD 40Gb 296 Mb RAm and 16mb video but it`s enugh.. I got terribly tired of the PC viruses, attacks and so on. SO I am a mac user now

OP
C

catchawave

yeah today I played with the different widgets and there is a cool ripple effect. What will they come up with next!

OP
S

sebeck

catchawave said:
yeah today I played with the different widgets and there is a cool ripple effect. What will they come up with next!

Grrrrrrr I hate that my ibook doesn't have this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.