• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Four Mac OS X upgrades in three years... too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Yet in the PC world it is becoming ages between OS releases -- Long Horn was due out in '04 - then '05 - then '06 - then they said '08 ..... At that point there was a formal rebellion by dell - hp - gateway where they took MSFT to task and beat the **** out of them ---- bottom line is "we sell more PCs after an OS upgrade --- your screwed up release dates are killing our sales" ------------- Long Horn is now locked for late '05 early '06

Feast or famine ---- I believe releases with real "meaningful" updates / enhancements should come every 18 - 24 months - at a fair price

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mynameis said:
How do you figure?

I paid 139 UKP for the family pack, that's 5 licences, for Tiger. As I have 4 Macs that makes sense.

A single user copy of XP-Home is currently selling for 159 UKP (and that is a "web exclusive" price, in-store it's 180!) from PC World.

OEM copies are useless because if you change the mobo it will no longer work, i.e it is a non-transferable OS which stays registered to the first person/machine combo you tell MS about.

Even then the OEM price for XP-Pro is greater than the single user price for Tiger.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Amen-Moses said:
I paid 139 UKP for the family pack, that's 5 licences, for Tiger. As I have 4 Macs that makes sense.

A single user copy of XP-Home is currently selling for 159 UKP (and that is a "web exclusive" price, in-store it's 180!) from PC World.

OEM copies are useless because if you change the mobo it will no longer work, i.e it is a non-transferable OS which stays registered to the first person/machine combo you tell MS about.

Even then the OEM price for XP-Pro is greater than the single user price for Tiger.

Amen-Moses

OEM does not become "useless" if you change motherboards. The system builder XP Pro OEM that you can get, as with the link I gave above, has to be purchased with hardware (a $5 mouse will do), and is cheaper than OSX retail and works just fine with any x86 hardware. XP Home OEM can be had for $69.

You might have to reactivate if you have substantial hardware changes but it doesn't quit working. Reactivation requires nothing more than a 5 minute phone call where you assure the MS representative that you don't have a copy of the OS currently installed on other hardware, but they don't check in any other way. I've done this more than once when upgrading my own home computer or changing hardware at work.

An exception to this are versions included with premade computers (such as a Dell) that can only be loaded on hardware from that company, but will install on other computers from the same company (which you can't complain to much about being an Apple fan, right?)

Edit:

A quick google search found this:

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info.asp?stockcode=M000166

XP pro for 89.95 GBP. Still not as cheap as I've seen in the US, but on a par with what you'll pay for OS X. (And yes, I do realize that XP is a couple of years old now)

Reaction score
UK prices must be different because in the US a 5-license family pack of OS X is about double the price of an OEM copy of XP Home. I paid around $100USD for XP Home when it came out and I haven't paid anything since then. I only bought it because I wanted it right when it came out and I would have had to wait a couple months before my university's bookstore started selling the $5 student version. Apple's cost for a student version of OS X is $70.

I do like the idea of Apple's family pack though, but it doesn't help me at all being a single user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
mynameis said:
UK prices must be different because in the US a 5-license family pack of OS X is about double the price of an OEM copy of XP Home. I paid around $100USD for XP Home when it came out and I haven't paid anything since then. I only bought it because I wanted it right when it came out and I would have had to wait a couple months before my university's bookstore started selling the $5 student version. Apple's cost for a student version of OS X is $70.

I do like the idea of Apple's family pack though, but it doesn't help me at all being a single user.

Yeah, the family pack is a good deal. Apple seems to price their OS for the home user, while MS seems aimed at a business model. You can get various deals from MS but you have to shop around. I don't know anything about UK pricing but I'd be a bit startled if you can't find better prices than that.

If you are a consultant or some such and are looking for a good deal in MS software, they have a deal called the "action pack" where you get multiple licences for much of their software (including 10 for XP pro and 10 for Office 2003, in addition to many of their server offerings) for $300 (199 GBP), which includes quarterly updates ($200 to continue with it after the first year).

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/sales_and_marketing/actionpack/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sKaD said:
w00t w00t
The new OS X will be Cougar!

Speaking of Cougars, I was driving mine and another kid in a red cougar was behind me, we raced, I won, got up to about 105mph

yah!

sKaD

I just did a ton twenty on the way home tonight, I won't tell you what I was driving as you'd probably cry. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dan828 said:
OEM does not become "useless" if you change motherboards.

According to the licence it does. MS are under no obligation to allow you to reactivate it and for customers outside of the US they pretty much don't.

A full version of XP is reactivateable with a phone call (good luck getting through btw) if you've exceeded the dozen or so alterations to the system that will deactivate it but the OEM has no such requirement, a single mobo change invalidates the licence. If you read the licence you will also find that the OEM copy is non-transferable so anyone other than a hardware seller who gives you a copy is breaking the law even if they give it to you with the original machine it was installed on. Luckily for me I am a hardware seller so when I sell hardware with an OEM copy installed I'm in the clear but even then I've been stung a few times when I've had a mobo failure after installing and basically had to trash the OEM disc as useless.

Otoh a single user Tiger disc can be installed on as many systems as your conscience will allow.

Personally I always operate within the licence agreements which is why I've purchased a 5 system family installation of Tiger.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Amen-Moses said:
According to the licence it does. MS are under no obligation to allow you to reactivate it and for customers outside of the US they pretty much don't.

A full version of XP is reactivateable with a phone call (good luck getting through btw) if you've exceeded the dozen or so alterations to the system that will deactivate it but the OEM has no such requirement, a single mobo change invalidates the licence. If you read the licence you will also find that the OEM copy is non-transferable so anyone other than a hardware seller who gives you a copy is breaking the law even if they give it to you with the original machine it was installed on. Luckily for me I am a hardware seller so when I sell hardware with an OEM copy installed I'm in the clear but even then I've been stung a few times when I've had a mobo failure after installing and basically had to trash the OEM disc as useless.

Otoh a single user Tiger disc can be installed on as many systems as your conscience will allow.

Personally I always operate within the licence agreements which is why I've purchased a 5 system family installation of Tiger.

Amen-Moses

Then MS operates very differently outside the US then in. I've never had the phone call take more than five minutes, my experience has been an imidiate connect (never any problems getting through at all) and new key issued right away. I've also never run into the limit you are talking about.

I'll defer to your experience in the matter of European issues though-- I just haven't seen it happening here.

B

badmojo

Jobs is too greedy, IMO. Some of the upgrades are really updates with a few new "widgets" thrown into there to entice. This is the area where Apple falters and Windows excels.

B

badmojo

dan828 said:
Then MS operates very differently outside the US then in. I've never had the phone call take more than five minutes, my experience has been an imidiate connect (never any problems getting through at all) and new key issued right away. I've also never run into the limit you are talking about.

I'll defer to your experience in the matter of European issues though-- I just haven't seen it happening here.

I've never had a phone call with Win XP, period. I changed everything in my [US domestic] Win Xp PC, save for the hard drive, and I validated online. Took 2 minutes, no complaints.

M

meltbanana314

badmojo said:
Jobs is too greedy, IMO. Some of the upgrades are really updates with a few new "widgets" thrown into there to entice. This is the area where Apple falters and Windows excels.

Like Gates and Ballmer are any less greedy. Windows XP is just Windows 2000 with an ugly GUI and a metric ton of new exploits for script kiddies to have fun with. Yeah, Windows really excels. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
meltbanana314 said:
Like Gates and Ballmer are any less greedy. Windows XP is just Windows 2000 with an ugly GUI and a metric ton of new exploits for script kiddies to have fun with. Yeah, Windows really excels. :rolleyes:

Speaking about greedy: Where can you get 5 Windows licenses for $199,-?!?

Only Apple has this offer with the family pack, which is great when you have more than one Mac. Even if you only use 2 of those 5 licenses for, let's say, your desktop Mac and your laptop, it's already worth it's money.

With Windows, you'd need to buy 2 licenses, which each costs more than the OS X family pack...do the math.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
badmojo said:
I've never had a phone call with Win XP, period. I changed everything in my [US domestic] Win Xp PC, save for the hard drive, and I validated online. Took 2 minutes, no complaints.

It's not about what you can or cannot do, you could if you wanted take a single copy of Tiger and install it on a million machines, it's about what the licence allows you to do. The OEM licence states quite clearly the restrictions, maybe MS don't apply them in the US but the deregistration is real and built in to the OS.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
you could if you wanted take a single copy of Tiger and install it on a million machines

UK laws/license agreements must be very different than US laws/license agreements when it comes to this, here in the States one copy of OS X that costs $130USD can be installed on only one computer legally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
UK laws/license agreements must be very different than US laws/license agreements when it comes to this, here in the States one copy of OS X that costs $130USD can be installed on only one computer legally.

Nope they are the same, that was my point.

There is nothing stopping you from using Tiger on more than one machione if you don't mind breaking the law and in a similar way there is nothing stopping you using an OEM copy on a new motherboard (if MS allows it) except the license agreement.

The problem is that if you want to compare prices then you have to compare like with like and the OEM copy price should not be compared with the full version of Tiger becasue they are not licenced the same.

In fact seeing as how a full version of Tiger contains all the developer tools what you should be comparing is a full version of XP-Pro + the developer tools with Tiger in which case there is no competition as XP is then a whole order of magnitude more expensive!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
to me, this is how it should have been priced:

10.0 - 10.1 (Free). In essence, you were a beta tester.
10.1.5 - $199
10.2 - Free
10.3 - $199
10.4 - Free

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Although then I would be paying more, but as for features.. I absolutely agree.

Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
The problem is that if you want to compare prices then you have to compare like with like and the OEM copy price should not be compared with the full version of Tiger becasue they are not licenced the same.

True, another thing to consider is the fact that Microsoft offers "Upgrade" versions, which can be found for pretty cheap sometimes.

Assuming you actually abide by the license agreements and you are a single user, there is not really one that is always cheaper, depending on when you buy and how you buy it can go either way. If you bought an OEM version of Windows XP Home when if first came out for $100, installed it on a computer and have used that computer till now it would have cost you total $100, but if you bought a Mac around that time in 2001 with OS X 10.1 on it, then kept it till now but purchased every upgrade you would have spent $260 not including the fact that part of the price of the computer you bought went towards the operating system. There would also be times when Windows XP could be more, if you are the kind of PC user that buys OEM, but insists on building a new computer every year, you could have easily spent $400 on OEM versions since it came out. There is also the possibility that that same user could have also bought a full version for $200 and that would have been all they spent for the last 4 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can compare prices all day, and i could have built a killer windoze box for half the price of my G5. but not having to deal with windows is reason enough to spend more. the same goes for the software.

[obligatory car parallel]
new honda civic will get you from point A to B for a lot less than a new mercedes Benz. which is better? doesnt matter. its your choice and your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
MacAddikt said:
you can compare prices all day, and i could have built a killer windoze box for half the price of my G5. but not having to deal with windows is reason enough to spend more. the same goes for the software.

[obligatory car parallel]
new honda civic will get you from point A to B for a lot less than a new mercedes Benz. which is better? doesnt matter. its your choice and your money.

There! You have hit it on the head. I'll take the mercedes, actually, I don't really like Mercedes, maybe a BMW instead, lol. No, your exactly right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.