address book duplicates and groups won't delete

Reaction score
really hoping someone can help me - my address book keeps creating random duplicate blank contacts each time i open it. Also i can't delete groups - i have gone through and deleted every contact and every single contact in groups - close the application - open it up and they are all still there? also when i click to delete groups - nothing happens - i have even deleted the application and re-installed it from the disc - still gives me the same grief. I'm figuring it has something to do with the groups since they won't delete at all - also went through and tried to delete duplicate contacts - nothing happens the application just hangs - also went through merging all the contacts - some deal - when it opens again - same problem - at my wits end - is there anywhere else on the system - where i can perhaps delete the list of addresses - so i can at least get back to zero and just enter all of them manually if i have to? would really appreciate any help on this one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like a syncing issue: Do you sync your Address book via mobileme or with your iPhone?

OP
P
Reaction score
address book not deleting etc

thanks for the quick response - no haven't got either iphone or mobileme - i did have a very old ipod that died and i can't sync - mac can;t even find it - perhaps that started the entire downfall - if so - any idea how to resolve - and if i have deleted and reinstalled the address book software - i don't quite understand why it still comes up with previous info? a mystery

OP
P
Reaction score
working on address book problem

hi - i have managed to manually and very slowly delete all the addresses - sync was not a problem - i checked preferences there - i will keep posting as i go through this cos i have notices others have asked similar questions on line - ok so now the contacts is back to zero - i also changed the v card format in preferences to 2.1 to match a v card 2.1 encoding - since there were no other options - this change has enabled the deleting of groups in columns and additions - not sure and can't test yet if spotlight will work in address book -i will now try to reload a few v cards i saved - just 5 to test again - if that fails i am figuring its cos the v cards are in 3.0 format and this is tossing my address book into salad - will keep posting on this one - :\

Reaction score
Hi
I'm having pretty much the same issue. I delete contacts, quit AB, then when I reopen, they're back. I've changed the sync options (I have an iPhone) and the vCard format to 2.1. Nothing seems to help. I've even exported the contacts as a backup, deleted ALL of them, only for them to reappear. I've deleted the .plist for both the AB and the AB data, but the addresses keep coming back.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Same issue

I have synced all of my address books on iPhone, iPad & MacBook Pro and certain contacts keep duplicating themselves - not all - and not the same number of times. It really seems like a poorly handled bug.
I spent hours deleting duplicates & trying to solve the issue but no solution yet.

I love mac but hate the mail and address book software. Surely apple can do better than this?!?

Reaction score
I have the same problem. When I sync my iTunes with iPhone, my computer's contact folder gets filled up with duplicates that can't be removed or merged using the contract software duplicate search. Many duplicates are not recognized as duplicates for some reason. There's an iPhone app that helps a little, but it has no automatic merge feature.

Reaction score
Groups will not delete

I can only add that "I feel your pain." Applecare has failed to find the problem in the first two calls so far.

Reaction score
a compromised solution.

Sounds like a syncing issue: Do you sync your Address book via mobileme or with your iPhone?

This turned out to be true. When I turn off synching iwth iCloud, the problem resolves. Another forum suggested it had to do with a particular file that kept showing uyp in iCloud, but eliminating the file only helped temporarily.

troycmd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.