New noise

Reaction score
I purchased my 13'' MacBook Pro in early August, and tonight was the first time I have noticed a distinct whine/screech coming from the top left corner of the keyboard. I was playing a youtube video on mute when I first noticed the noise. Is this normal?

OP
D
Reaction score
In Addition

I've noticed that when I plug in headphones (sound still muted) the noise stops. Just FYI in case that helps us solve the mystery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not normal. Your machine is still under warranty and should be looked at by an apple technician. Make an appointment with your local Apple store. You'll probably have to wait until after Xmas since they're very busy this time of year.

OP
D
Reaction score
After the Genius Bar

I took my mac to a Genius Bar today. This was my first experience with Apple's service and I was very impressed with them.

Earlier today I was on the phone with AppleCare and the tech had me try a few keyboard combos to do a variety of resets on startup. When the noise was still present he suggested I take it into a Genius Bar.

The Genius ran several diagnostics, a stress test on my CPU, and everything checked out. He said that he was unable to re-create the noise, so he logged it with Apple and told me that chances are that it would probably go away.

I figured that because the noise level was so high in the busy store he just might not have heard it, but sure enough, the noise is now gone, but nothing has been done to fix it.

What do you think the next step would be in my case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
What do you think the next step would be in my case?

waiting to see if it comes back would be an idea.

and if it does, take it back in and hope it sticks around long enough for the tech to witness it. but if it's been noted and you keep complaining, they'll eventually do something just to get you to go away. ;)

but in all seriousness, refer to my first line. the likely culprit is bad speaker wiring resulting in an intermittent short that results in the feedback noise you're getting. try opening the display repeatedly and see if you can get it to come back, as the display wiring is taped to the speaker leads.

i say this because you specifically mention that it occurs when you muted the source and it went away when you disabled the physical source by plugging in a headset... this basically narrows it down to the physical speaker connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.