Want to stream to ATV2 without JailBreaking it... Then this might be for you !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'd be curious though - would it be smart enough that, if a file were larger then 7 GB, would it cache as much as it could and then do like a shifting window on the stream? I wonder if the protocol supports something like that where the ATV2 can communicate with iTunes to pause, or if it can play fast enough where it just won't cache the entire thing - makes me wonder though if that were possible, how would they handle rewinding, I'd assume they'd have to have some way to tell iTunes to send data previous to XX:XX time…

I started to watch that movie again yesterday, and saw where it reached a point where it stopped caching. I jumped ahead to where it stopped, and it continued to play without problem, even though I never saw the bar move ahead. Didn't get a chance to watch it fully through, but it played without a hitch.

That is strange. With n compliance, there really should have been enough bandwidth (unless the ATV2 was really far/through walls and/or there were several things using the wifi simultaneously)... But since I was usually using a wired network or local drive (USB or firewire) for high bitrate videos, I never really encountered those problems.

Well that was on a Mac mini I had (2009 model) before I had enough and traded "up" to the ATV2. No significant barriers.

I had heard about the anamorphic rip issue with DVD's, but since I hadn't really ripped my DVDs to play on plex, I had never really experienced it - the few that I wanted in my Plex library were older movies that were not anamorphic but rather pre-rendered letterbox. Plus were you watching raw ISO rips or MKV or some other container of the video from the DVDs?

Not raw rips… transcoded using Handbrake with anamorphic settings. I can make a comparison screenshot if it interests you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
lifeisabeach Not raw rips… transcoded using Handbrake with anamorphic settings. I can make a comparison screenshot if it interests you.[/QUOTE said:
I would be curious if you wouldn't mind - not that I don't believe you, I do - I'm just curious as to what/how it looks different (I had read about other people on the Plex forums with a similar issue, but I had never seen it that I'm aware of).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would be curious if you wouldn't mind - not that I don't believe you, I do - I'm just curious as to what/how it looks different (I had read about other people on the Plex forums with a similar issue, but I had never seen it that I'm aware of).

Here ya go. I played this in Plex using 720p in a window, and resized Quicktime to play back at 960x720. I did the screen shot of Plex using the "Normal" View Mode option. To get it adjusted properly, you have to use the "Stretch 4:3" option, which uses the Pixel Ratio of .98. I mistakenly said it was .80 earlier, so it's off by "just" 2%. The difference is not terribly obvious on a casual glance, but something always seemed off to me and once I figured it out, it started to stand out to me more.

Quicktime.jpg

Plex.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.