• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Price of Admission: America's College Debt Crisis CNBC 12-21-2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My wife and I are both looking into going back for advanced degrees in 2011. Though we would like to avoid any debt, that may not be realistic if we aggressively take heavy loads or if my wife goes full-time. Obviously, debt seems to be on everyone's mind these days (or not) so this peaked my interest. Anyhow, I thought others here might be interested and hence, this post...

Price of Admission: America's College Debt Crisis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
We paid my wife's hefty business school tuition up front, but she still had to take some loans. It's part of life and isn't really anything new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm pretty fortunate to have come into inheritance money that allows me to pay for my Masters degree without taking loans. But I know that's a huge problem for most people.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are frequently debates about whether the increased salary that comes with having the debt of education is worth leaving a job for (this implies being unemployed during school). It's something that one should definitely consider and do so carefully. Although I am a huge advocate of individuals getting as much education as possible, it's not for everyone. What ever your choice, best of luck to you financially.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife & I went back to school for advanced degrees after both of us had been working about 8-10 years. I never ever even worried about going into debt for the advanced degree. I just considered it part of the process...and well worth the extra earning potential & upward mobility an advanced degree can offer (in some fields).

I had plenty of debt from undergrad....and I had plenty of debt from grad. school.

Look at it this way:

- most folks don't just slap-down $20,000-$30,000+ in cash when they buy a new car...so you're going into debt with a new car purchase.
- most folks don't just slap-down $250,000 or more in cash when they buy a home...so you go into debt with a home purchase
- and many folks just can't slap-down the cash necessary to pay for grad. school tuition, food, utilities, housing, books, etc. when they attend grad. school...so you go into debt with grad. school.

Basically what I'm saying is...there are plenty of "opportunities" to go into debt in life...so why should something as beneficial as grad. school be any different,:)

Besides...you're just not a "good American" if you're not carrying a bunch of debt!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
/start rant
Meh a degree is just a piece of paper imo. It's a very expensive piece of paper which doesn't guarantee anything. Sure, you may have a degree, but with no experience you won't get that great of a job (if you can even find any job openings). I would rather do something hands on and actually feel like I'm making a difference. I don't want to go into a huge rant, but not to offend anyone I labeled this as a "rant".
/end rant.

Reaction score
/start rant
Meh a degree is just a piece of paper imo. It's a very expensive piece of paper which doesn't guarantee anything. Sure, you may have a degree, but with no experience you won't get that great of a job (if you can even find any job openings). I would rather do something hands on and actually feel like I'm making a difference. I don't want to go into a huge rant, but not to offend anyone I labeled this as a "rant".
/end rant.

You may think that, but most companies are looking for people with that degree now. I work in the IT field and we used to disregard the degree for people that may only have certs. Not any longer... If you don't have the paper they won't even bother with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may be so, but you need experience to go along with that degree.
And what do you do if you slacked off and chose a degree that you have no interest in, and you have a piece of paper that has the world "Zoology" across the top. Say you want to be an accountant but your degree is in zoology. Good luck. And internships don't always work. I have talked to a few friends around here who applied for internships, and got turned down because someone else applied, who had 3/4/7 yeas, respectively experience in that job field. It's the same thing behind credit. You need credit to build credit? You need experience to get more experience.

Reaction score

Not true.... Companies that higher people with degrees are willing to pay to train them (my company has dumped well over 30K on me in the last five years and I have just submitted for more training). They see the degree as proof that the applicant is willing to learn and grow.

As for the rest of what you posted. If you have a degree in zoology and you are applying for an accounting position you can bet that you probably won't be getting it as you have not met the criteria of posted position. However, if you have been working in that field for 15 + years and have a degree in zoology you will likely be considered. Internships are always a risk and don't equal a job but they do equal some experience.

I used to think just like you until I watched and had to inform (as a hiring manager) people that they weren't qualified due to their lack of education. A degree is worth it and I will always recommend it if you ever want to advance in any position.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just giving my opinion from a person that was (just took a new position) in a hiring role for a large well-known company. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I find it odd that people complain about a price for tuition, which helps their whole future out, but don't complain about buying a car...which is one of the worst large investments out there. If you think it's worth paying for an advanced degree to climb up the "corporate ladder," do it!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not true.... Companies that higher people with degrees are willing to pay to train them (my company has dumped well over 30K on me in the last five years and I have just submitted for more training). They see the degree as proof that the applicant is willing to learn and grow.
Beyond that, a degree demonstrates that you can commit to something that is long and difficult along with having completed four years (minimum) of schooling where you not only learn the subject matter but thinking skills, methodology, etc. There is so much more to a degree than the name of the program on the "piece of paper."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are frequently debates about whether the increased salary that comes with having the debt of education is worth leaving a job for (this implies being unemployed during school). It's something that one should definitely consider and do so carefully. Although I am a huge advocate of individuals getting as much education as possible, it's not for everyone. What ever your choice, best of luck to you financially.

The salary that comes with it, initially at least, isn't always worth the effort, time and money spent. That's the short term reality. The long term reality is that once you pay off the loans and assuming you got a degree that is worth anything, you will be better off through retirement (and live comfortably when you do) if you have half a brain. even 10 years of paying off loans is a short term problem when you consider you will probably work for at least 50 years after you graduate. From that POV it's a small price to pay for long term security.

College also teaches you important skills like critical thinking, something that should never be sold short if you look at the broader view of life.

s2odin said:
/start rant
/end rant.

s2odin said:
And what do you do if you slacked off and chose a degree that you have no interest in, and you have a piece of paper that has the world "Zoology" across the top. Say you want to be an accountant but your degree is in zoology. Good luck. And internships don't always work. I have talked to a few friends around here who applied for internships, and got turned down because someone else applied, who had 3/4/7 yeas, respectively experience in that job field. It's the same thing behind credit. You need credit to build credit? You need experience to get more experience.

It's not just a piece of paper, at least not if you didn't "slack off" and get a degree in basket weaving or Liberal arts. If you got a degree in Zoology and you make the field a career because you enjoy it, then it's not a bad thing.

Reading your sig I see you are going into the USAF. Here's a story for you. I did a number of years in the USN and one of my billets was i Navy F-14D fighter squadron (yeah, I'm old). One of the pilots I knew got a degree in Liberal Arts. Wasted degree, right? WRONG! That degree allowed him to enter the USN as an Officer vice enlisted, qualify for flight school and fly jets for Aircraft Carriers. It's NOT just a piece of paper, it can get you far in life if you use it correctly.

The military is much like a trade school and can be treated as such, but ONLY if you make the most out of it. It's not a free ride or the answer to all of your problems. It does give you a leg up on others if you choose to go to school and it can be a wonderful career for the right people (it's not for everyone). It can also lead you into a good career when you leave the service, but only if you play your cards right and actually become good at not only your job, but any other one that touches you job (MOS) remotely. Being the go to guy in the military can have it's drawbacks (lots of hard work and long hours) but it can have its benefits in the long run as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The salary that comes with it, initially at least, isn't always worth the effort, time and money spent. That's the short term reality. The long term reality is that once you pay off the loans and assuming you got a degree that is worth anything, you will be better off through retirement (and live comfortably when you do) if you have half a brain. even 10 years of paying off loans is a short term problem when you consider you will probably work for at least 50 years after you graduate. From that POV it's a small price to pay for long term security.
I agree (being a big advocate of education) but there was an article in the paper here a while ago where they did some statistics showing that for some, not pursuing more education was actually more beneficial because not only did they make money during the years that they could have been at school but they also moved up the corporate hierarchy quicker since they reached the "year markers" sooner (5yrs, 10yrs, etc.). I don't necessarily agree with their conclusions though - education will let you progress further up the ladder but it could be argued from both sides I suppose.

College also teaches you important skills like critical thinking, something that should never be sold short if you look at the broader view of life.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Critical thinking is needed now more than ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree (being a big advocate of education) but there was an article in the paper here a while ago where they did some statistics showing that for some, not pursuing more education was actually more beneficial because not only did they make money during the years that they could have been at school but they also moved up the corporate hierarchy quicker since they reached the "year markers" sooner (5yrs, 10yrs, etc.). I don't necessarily agree with their conclusions though - education will let you progress further up the ladder but it could be argued from both sides I suppose.

You may move up the ladder quicker but without that "piece of paper" you stop moving up sooner than your peers who have it. You may make more money earlier but later, when the higher pay is really what counts in your 50s and 60s (and beyond) you are handicapped since you can't rise to those levels. It's a short term gain for a longer term loss and in the end, you lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meh, it's probably because I'm a firm believer in hands on experience over education. Books and teachers can't teach you everything you might experience in your job, but experience will put you in situations where you can learn how to handle things. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not be able to apply it. I know someone who used to work for Boeing making little mini rocket engines. He has been married twice and is on his next relationship (yes, I know relationships fail. But these were things that he should have seen coming from a mile away). He is one of the smartest people I know when it comes to education, but street smarts, he isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I prefer hands on experience to education as I said, and I'm not stupid either. I had a 3.5 all through high school, has NHS offers, blah blah blah. I scored a 77 on my ASVAB and I know what I want to do with my life. I will eventually pursue an education, yes, but I want real world experience first. It's all well and good to have a degree, but it won't always prepare you for real world situations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And if you are one of those folks who are not smart enough to attend a university. Well not everyone is university material. Blame natural selection and random intelligence of people for that. But for those people there is the trades. They can get their piece of paper via an apprenticeship. I know this is a little offtopic. But it also goes to the point that even in the trades people like the piece of paper. You can't get to the top of your profession without it.

And the apprentices are in debt too. They get peanut money to live on. Plus they have to buy all their books and tools etc. it's almost a culture that if you you want to be debt free (apart from the tuition fees) you need to live with your folks at home and share the expenses. Or do it the hard way part time while working during the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meh, it's probably because I'm a firm believer in hands on experience over education. Books and teachers can't teach you everything you might experience in your job, but experience will put you in situations where you can learn how to handle things. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not be able to apply it. I know someone who used to work for Boeing making little mini rocket engines. He has been married twice and is on his next relationship (yes, I know relationships fail. But these were things that he should have seen coming from a mile away). He is one of the smartest people I know when it comes to education, but street smarts, he isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I prefer hands on experience to education as I said, and I'm not stupid either. I had a 3.5 all through high school, has NHS offers, blah blah blah. I scored a 77 on my ASVAB and I know what I want to do with my life. I will eventually pursue an education, yes, but I want real world experience first. It's all well and good to have a degree, but it won't always prepare you for real world situations.

Interpersonal skills are not, IMO, indicative of intelligence or education. Everyone is different and has their flaws. Hands on is good but without education it's a limiting factor. Hands on can be learned after an education, but I suppose it works both ways. Either can be a huge limitation by itself, but together you can do almost anything. I guess in the end as long as you get the education, the order doesn't necessarily mater.

Just try not to screw yourself until you get there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if you are one of those folks who are not smart enough to attend a university. Well not everyone is university material. Blame natural selection and random intelligence of people for that. But for those people there is the trades. They can get their piece of paper via an apprenticeship. I know this is a little offtopic. But it also goes to the point that even in the trades people like the piece of paper. You can't get to the top of your profession without it.

And the apprentices are in debt too. They get peanut money to live on. Plus they have to buy all their books and tools etc. it's almost a culture that if you you want to be debt free (apart from the tuition fees) you need to live with your folks at home and share the expenses. Or do it the hard way part time while working during the day.

I went to a university for a year. I couldn't stand 100 level classes with 110+ people in one classroom. I didn't feel a connection to the teacher. When I was in CCJ 250 with 24 people, it was a lot easier. I could talk to the teacher, she knew my name, etc. If I could have gotten past all the 100 level classes, I would have stayed in.

And no, you don't need that piece of paper to get to the top of of a company. Ever head of Steve Jobs? Bill Gates? Mark Zuckerberg?
No college degrees.
Well Bill Gates still makes this list as he got his degree after creating and making bank off Microsoft.

I guess in the end as long as you get the education, the order doesn't necessarily mater.
The ends justifying the means. Just how I like it
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not everyone needs a degree, but if a country wants to be able to compete, you do need a highly skilled workforce and that includes experience as well as scientific training. Obviously certain degrees could be substituted for experience, but there aren't many nano-engineers who learnt how to do their job in their spare time.

The UK is slowly switching to this type of system as well. Tuition fees have been steadily increasing the last few years and a single year can now cost up to £9000.

Compare that with the situation here in Germany where I'll pay around €3500 for my entire degree and it's easy to understand why some students are frustrated. Of course taxes here are higher later, but that's a compromise I'm willing to accept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Meh, it's probably because I'm a firm believer in hands on experience over education. Books and teachers can't teach you everything you might experience in your job, but experience will put you in situations where you can learn how to handle things. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not be able to apply it.

Your argument can also be completely reversed.

You can have all the experience or practice and you may not have the knowledge to apply it.

Everyone has different needs and abilities and both education and hands on experience are appropriate options depending on the field and the individuals aptitudes. Not everyone should be going to college, but that also doesn't mean that experience always trumps education. Putting one consistently over the other is pretty myopic at best.

There are many advantages of college outside of learning about your specific field. A big advantage to me is the broadening of your horizons by having to take classes in disciplines you may not have thought about before. It's the interactions and discussions you have with people of different backgrounds and beliefs that doesn't necessarily occur as much or as thoroughly outside of academia. All of this is also "experience" that is invaluable in the workforce and society as a whole.

There's a reason why places of higher education have existed for thousands of years. Human societies throughout history have found them valuable for some reason. Today is no different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.