Tools!!! Tools!!! Tooools!!!

Reaction score
hey people, i am embarking on a new career (hopefully one day as an apple genius), and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any tools i may need, from the simplest (but highest quality screwdriver) to the most advanced lab instruments. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Get yourself some "spudgers"!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
what on earth are spudgers?

Also known as the Apple Black Stick tool. It's basically a nylon pry tool, used to disassemble laptops and other difficult to open parts without marring the plastics.

Check iFixIt.com for a good selection of Apple-specific tools.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what on earth are spudgers?

I was afraid you were going to ask that...I sure hope "What is a Spudger?" isn't on the "Apple Genius" exam!;)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
lovely

Also known as the Apple Black Stick tool. It's basically a nylon pry tool, used to disassemble laptops and other difficult to open parts without marring the plastics.

Check iFixIt.com for a good selection of Apple-specific tools.

thank you VERY much, i appreciate it. i'll check it out!

Reaction score
Go to Radio Shack and buy a computer screwdriver set and find and old credit card.

OP
Reaction score
Correct???

my first job is going to be upgrading my G4 iMac 20" RAM boards...i have seen that i need a torx 10, a torx 15 and a phillips 2. is this right, or are there any other tools i may need? (excluding spudgers!!! hehe)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my first job is going to be upgrading my G4 iMac 20" RAM boards...i have seen that i need a torx 10, a torx 15 and a phillips 2. is this right, or are there any other tools i may need? (excluding spudgers!!! hehe)

Go to iFixit. They have lots of DIY procedures (with pictures)...and they list the tools you need. And hey...Spudgers have a number of uses...you would be surprised what they come in handy for when poking around inside a computer!;)

Apple Nylon Probe/Spudger Tool (Black Stick) at OWC

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
sorry if i'm being a bit of a div, but something is niggling me... Are there ANY differences between U.S. Apple stuff, and U.K. Apple stuff?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
sorry if i'm being a bit of a div, but something is niggling me... Are there ANY differences between U.S. Apple stuff, and U.K. Apple stuff?

The keyboards & the region coding for the Superdrive. That's about all that I'm aware of.

OP
Reaction score
OK, so i have two spudgers, i have ordered a TX10 screwdriver, i already have a TX15, TX20 and a Phillips No 2, and i have the new RAM coming soon... is there anything else i need? (to upgrade both RAM slots on my iMac G4 20" FP)...i have seen thermal paste mentioned, as well as ESD (anti-static) equipment. any help much appreciated. thx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so i have two spudgers, i have ordered a TX10 screwdriver, i already have a TX15, TX20 and a Phillips No 2, and i have the new RAM coming soon... is there anything else i need? (to upgrade both RAM slots on my iMac G4 20" FP)...i have seen thermal paste mentioned, as well as ESD (anti-static) equipment. any help much appreciated. thx

Hey...at the beginning of this thread you mentioned that you were "embarking on a new career (hopefully one day as an Apple Genius)"...it would seem that you've "backed away" from this goal quite a bit...and now your simply trying to upgrade an iMac G4!;)...what happened?

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
hehe. i should probably explain that i am starting at the very beginning. sorry if i gave the impression that i have already got the job. but no, i haven't backed away from anything...i'm waiting for a reply from my local apple store as i type this. and me upgrading my own machine, well, i think it's a good place to start, get in the guts of it, see whats in there. it's all experience...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
In addition to what you've already collected, you will want the following. Not everything needs to be purchased immediately, but eventually you will use it all.
T-8 Torx (for portable computers)
Precision screwdrivers, phillips and flat (00, 0 phillips)
kapton tape
2x putty knife 2" (Mac Mini repairs, separating casings)
xacto knife
compressed air
static safe vacuum
grounding mat
good worklight
screw trays (Must have! Use egg cartons if you have nothing else, but a plastic screw tray that closes, in case you have to step away for a bit, is a lifesaver!)
multimeter
flashlight

Best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

OP
Reaction score
excellent list...thanks for that.
all i need now is the knowledge! hehe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
excellent list...thanks for that.
all i need now is the knowledge! hehe

Kind of like:

- brain surgery
- curing cancer
- knowing the meaning of life

...getting the tools is easy...getting the knowledge is always the hard part!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.