Decisions, decisions. (iMac 2010)

Reaction score
Just wondering how well that setup will suit me for what I need.

My limit is $1,500, but obviously the better deal I can get is what I'll go with.

I have three configurations in mind, all refurbs.
-21.5" , i3 3.2GHz , 4 GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB... $1,269 (Save 15%)
-27" , C2D 3.06GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 4670 256MB...$1,269 (Save 25%)
-27" , i3 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB...$1,439 (Save 15%)

Screen size is hard to decide upon. I've heard very mixed reactions to the size of the screen and I don't know if the 27" would be worth the extra almost $200.

I spend the majority of my time on the computer:
-Web browsing.
-Music / video streaming.
-Light gaming (Starcraft II and some Java based games).
-Word processing / PowerPoint.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Screen size is hard to decide upon. I've heard very mixed reactions to the size of the screen and I don't know if the 27" would be worth the extra almost $200.

Are you thinking clearly???;)...where can you get a 27" display (with the resolution of 2560 by 1440) for only $200 more than a 21" display!

Have you priced the cost of the Apple 27" Cinema Display???...it costs $999:

Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (U.S.)

In a sense...subtract roughly $999 from any 27" iMac you would buy...and the remainder is what you're paying for the computer, keyboard, and mouse!

Consider the example of the 27" iMac you have listed above for $1269. Subtract $999 from $1269...and that comes out to just $270 dollars for the computer part of the iMac, keyboard, and mouse.

Seems like a pretty darn decent deal to me!!!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So, even though it's a older processor, slower processor speed, and less GPU power, you'd still go with it because of the extra 5.5" or is there more to it than I'm seeing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, even though it's a older processor, slower processor speed, and less GPU power, you'd still go with it because of the extra 5.5" or is there more to it than I'm seeing?

You can purchase any 27" iMac you want (core 2 duo, i3, i5, etc.). I was only using the $1269 27" iMac as an example.

And yes...there may be more to it than you're seeing than the extra 5.5". The resolution on the:

- 21" iMac is 1920 by 1080 (a very good resolution)
- 27" iMac is 2560 by 1440 (a humongous resolution)

Doing the math...that makes the 27" iMac's display more than 77% LARGER than the 21" iMac's display. That's a HUGE difference for just $200 extra (as you mentioned in the original post)!!!:)

I'm simply addressing the fact that you're getting one heck of a BIGGER display for just an extra $200.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

It still makes for a pretty powerful MAc that will take on basically all tasks out there ATM ... And on that i would get for my $1500

27" , i3 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB...$1,439 (Save 15%)

You also need to think about Future Proofing and in getting this one, being the latest model, you have done just that ... And with a $260 drop off the full price model .. :)

Good luck

OP
S
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you both, the 27" is awesome, and I think you both have convinced me to get that. As far as which of the two, I'm leaning towards the i3. Simply because of the updated and as TattooedMac put it, 'Future Proofing' (e.g. i3 vs C2D).

Also, I mean, I'm not one to get all into the hype of rumours, but CNET is pretty sure of themselves when they say they will be refreshing the iMac lineup. Is it worth the wait until January at CES to find out or just take my shot now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I mean, I'm not one to get all into the hype of rumours, but CNET is pretty sure of themselves when they say they will be refreshing the iMac lineup. Is it worth the wait until January at CES to find out or just take my shot now?

There's always a newer & possibly better computer around the corner...and if you want to wait for that newer iMac model...go ahead. But then what about the new models after that. It's like a dog chasing his tail...most of the time he never gets it!;)

Also remember...that when the new iMac models come out (and who really knows when that will be???)...you will pay TOP DOLLAR for them...maybe more than your budget will allow.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I know, I tend to find myself doing it all the time. Trust me, it's horrible. But with my first Mac, I just want to get it right and be happy with it.

Great point about the price, I'd just be killed if what CNET said turned out to be true, about Apple introducing a more 'mainstream' iMac, which equals lower prices.

The vicious cycle never ends, does it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, I tend to find myself doing it all the time. Trust me, it's horrible. But with my first Mac, I just want to get it right and be happy with it.

Great point about the price, I'd just be killed if what CNET said turned out to be true, about Apple introducing a more 'mainstream' iMac, which equals lower prices.

The vicious cycle never ends, does it?

I TOTALLY understand the "tug of war" you're struggling with with this computer purchase decision. I'm trying to help you remove the emotional part from the buying decision...and make the decision based on logic & value!

Just the way "Spock" would do it!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, it's horrible. I still got a few days left before I need to return my HP Envy 17 (my failed third one, which is leading me to purchase a Mac) so I'm going to wait till CES and if the price isn't right or the date is too far off, I'm pulling the trigger on that one FOR SURE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I know if it were me, I'd wait for the new batch with new models supposedly close on the horizon. I can't wait to see what new ones have to offer. Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.

C

chas_m

I know if it were me, I'd wait for the new batch with new models supposedly close on the horizon.

Please cut and paste this portion into every message you post, at all times of the year, because it is ALWAYS TRUE.

Playing the waiting game is a fool's errand.

Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.

I don't own a MacBook Air, but I have clients who do (the new ones, I mean). My impression having worked with them for a while now is that they are lightning fast ... until you actually tax them with real work. Then they bog down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.

I think that what makes the MacBook Air seem so fast is the SSD drive. There are a number of reviews that have said that the MacBook Air (with a 1.86ghz cpu and an SSD drive) seems so much faster (or performs much faster) than you would expect from a 1.86ghz cpu...and it actually does impact some benchmarks allowing it to score on some parameters almost as well as Macbook's with a faster cpu.

So if it's this sort of performance that has you "drooling" for a MacBook Air...just get an SSD drive & install it into any new Macintosh computer...be it a Mac-mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac...of course even a Mac Pro...but not too many of us own a nice new 8-core Mac Pro!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
^my next Mac is going to have an SSD, regardless of model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I also think it's the SSD that makes the MacBook Air seem so fast. For most people the speed of the hard drive will be the most noticeable speed improvement. Things like boot times, application startup, saving and opening documents, etc will all be a lot faster. These are things that everyone does often when they use their computers.

Faster processor speeds and more RAM aren't really that noticeable until you have done something intensive on your computer to fully max out the performance on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.