upgrading bootcamp

Reaction score
I have bootcamp 3.0.1 or something like that and i want to update to the latest 3.2. Do i need to have windows installed to upgrade? Everything im seeing on the apple support site are .exe files.

Is there something im missing?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Boot Camp software consists of two components - the driver package (specific to Windows) and the Boot Camp Assistant, which partitions your hard drive in two.

The software component that runs in OS X doesn't really change (nor does it need to, since its task is pretty simple). With that said, Windows drivers need to be updated regularly, especially since Windows XP/Vista and 7 are all supported by it. So, you upgrade the Boot Camp driver package in Windows by running Apple Software Update from Windows, as installed via Boot Camp.

OP
S
Reaction score
so what im getting from you is that i was a bit quick to delete the xp partition... ugh. so i need to find an xp or vista cd so i can upgrade bc to install 7??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
so what im getting from you is that i was a bit quick to delete the xp partition... ugh. so i need to find an xp or vista cd so i can upgrade bc to install 7??

Nope. Just install 7, use the current driver package and then when it's all done, run the Apple Software Update (within Windows) to get the latest version of the BC driver package.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ok, I'll try this time.

First, there is "BootCamp Assistant" - the app that sits in your OS X Applications / Utilities folder - all it does is partition your drive so that you can install Windows and be able to boot to both OS X and Windows.

That 3.0.1 you have, that is "BootCamp Assistant". You will only use this to partition the drive and start your install of Windows.

Second, there is "BootCamp" - the .exe - the driver package for Windows so that all your hardware works in Windows. It would not be installed until after you install Windows.

The 3.2 version you're looking at, that is "BootCamp"... the drivers... it will not be installed nor updated, until after you install Windows. You don't need Windows drivers if you don't have Windows installed.

So, there are 2 (two) things here. "BootCamp Assistant" - the app in OS X that partitions your drive and enables you to install Windows and "BootCamp" - the driver package you install after you have installed Windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
i ask because i tried to install 7 and it said it couldnt install on the partition I made. (Using bc asst.)

windows 7 ultimate - 64 bit
newest macbook pro 13" 10.6.5
no new boot camp shows up when running software update. but as i thought before you dont update it until you have windows installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.