Mac complete back up image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hey,

I just got another MacBook Pro, the 15" i5. I'm looking at setting up a server (Windows Server 2003) at home to have as a file server and manage some printers. I work as an IT Technician (in a windows environment) and have a couple old PCs available for free. They are C2D, 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

What is my best option for making a backup from my Mac (daily) to the windows box? I will be hoping to make an IMAGE of the Mac, not just a backup of certain directories. So if my Mac dies, I just restore the image and I'm good to go.

Also, on a side note, every now and then I get this weird static click noise from my MacBook Pro. Just a little tick noise. Any ideas on what that would be? I always have Finder, Firefox, itunes, Skype and Outlook open.

Thanks for any help given.

Regards,

-Ben

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only imaging programs that I am aware of (SuperDuper and CCC) require imaging to an HFS Extended Journaled drive or partition. And Disk Utility is the same. That would eliminate your PCs assuming they're formatted to either FAT-32 or NTFS.

You could, however, backup to the server 2003 machine via your local network but it would probably be limited to a file by file backup rather than a cloned image. Maybe someone else can tune in here with some better ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The tick noise could be coming from the hard drive when it goes into powersave mode. Or it may come from the bottom cover, if the cover is a liiittle bit uneven.

OP
benparko
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Thanks chscag! I'm thinking I'll just buy another external for my back ups. Probaby easier then over network.

Strukt, the noise is coming from the speakers. Not a hardware issue. Men tack sa mycket ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.