Help needed with my new webcam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I finally took the plunge and got myself a webcam which was specifically designed for use with a Mac with an OS later than OS X 10.4. It is Plug & Play and works via USB 2.0.
Here is a link to the actual webcam that I bought .......

Mac Webcams -

There is one very important bit near the top where it says, "Built-in Microphone for Mac" and another important bit near the bottom where it says that this webcam is suitable for Snow Leopard.
There was nothing else in the box except for the camera with its USB lead.
I plugged the lead into my Mac Mini and the infra red lights came on on the front of the camera but nothing appeared on-screen to say that a new device was installed. I tried a few buttons and eventually got to iChat and my ugly mush showed up on a window within my TV screen. The picture is perfect. You couldn't wish for any better. It is crystal clear and when you move, it's like watching a TV picture.
Sound, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.
I can see a "progress bar" kind of thing under my image and it moves up and down, in green, as I speak or clap my hands. The snag is that I can't find a way to record my voice and image and then play it back so that I can check it for quality. I found a bit where it says that when using iChat, I can ask the other persons permission to record a conversation but I can't find a way to record and play back just me.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. Does not belong in "Switcher". Please read forum descriptions prior to posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
If you are using Snow Leopard, you can record with QuicktimeX. Just open the Quicktime player, and choose File->New Recording.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Lol just got in there before me with the Quicktime suggestion ;p

- Simon

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys.
I'll try that now and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Keep us posted pal

- Simon

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I must be doing something wrong here.
I can get the Quicktime bit up and running and I can record and play back my waves and head shaking. That side is perfect.
But I just can't seem to get any sound or even any kind of indication that sound is being picked up as mentioned in the opening post.
My guess is that there is a setting somewhere to change the input device for sound but I'm so new at Macs that I just don't know where it is yet.
Cheers,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES!!!!
I found it hiding in "Sound" in Preferences. How sneaky can you get?
Thanks guys.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, guys. One last thing.
When you change a setting on a Mac, such as the device used to input sound, is there a sort of "Save" button that you need to click to make the Mac remember the setting, dare i say it, like on a Windows PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
From what I have seen, the Mac is smart enough to remember it on it's own. At least it has for every setting I have changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.