• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

NVIDIA Exits Chipset Business for Good? Apple to Continue to Use Old NVIDIA Chipsets?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Unfortunately, swearing is not allowed on this forum...darn!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That leaves only AMD or intel for graphics options for Apple.

This only affects the low-end machines, not the Macbook Pros or high-end desktops. The high-end machines already use discrete graphic cards and are therefore not affected by this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not a big deal, NVIDIA hasn't put out a good chipset since the nForce 4. This isn't going to affect production of graphics cards, both discrete and integrated (Tegra is essentially integrated if you think about it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This only affects the low-end machines, not the Macbook Pros or high-end desktops. The high-end machines already use discrete graphic cards and are therefore not affected by this.

Which means while other's will go to i3's, and i5's, macbook/air will still be stuck with C2D's. That's lame! What about the current 13" MBP? Is that going to shift to an i3/i5 in the future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which means while other's will go to i3's, and i5's, macbook/air will still be stuck with C2D's. That's lame! What about the current 13" MBP? Is that going to shift to an i3/i5 in the future?

You're also assuming those machines will stick Nvidia chips. No one knows the answer but apple.

Either way, who cares. The C2Ds aren't bad chips, a little dated, but the MB and MBA are not meant to be powerhouse machines. They do what they're supposed to do pretty well at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You're also assuming those machines will stick Nvidia chips. No one knows the answer but apple.

Either way, who cares. The C2Ds aren't bad chips, a little dated, but the MB and MBA are not meant to be powerhouse machines. They do what they're supposed to do pretty well at this point.

I get that, I too think that c2ds aren't bad, I don't mind my 2.4 at all, but why even bother keeping it around when i3 are so cheap? Those i3's have proven themselves to be more efficient and up for a tough task. Why complicate things when you could shift everything to one company, and have it be just AMD? Or Intel even?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get that, I too think that c2ds aren't bad, I don't mind my 2.4 at all, but why even bother keeping it around when i3 are so cheap? Those i3's have proven themselves to be more efficient and up for a tough task. Why complicate things when you could shift everything to one company, and have it be just AMD? Or Intel even?

Who said Apple won't do that?

I don't see anywhere that Apple actually said that, it's just some guy from Nvidia saying "Apple will use our existing chipsets for some time" which is probably more a way for him to not scare his own shareholders than a definitive comment by Apple themselves saying they're sticking with it.

Imagine if Apple were to switch in the short-term to someone else, then they're stuck with all these worthless boards and lose a big customer, what do you think that would do to Nvidia's stock? Do you expect him to admit to that? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Who said Apple won't do that?

I don't see anywhere that Apple actually said that, it's just some guy from Nvidia saying "Apple will use our existing chipsets for some time" which is probably more a way for him to not scare his own shareholders than a definitive comment by Apple themselves saying they're sticking with it.

Imagine if Apple were to switch in the short-term to someone else, then they're stuck with all these worthless boards and lose a big customer, what do you think that would do to Nvidia's stock? Do you expect him to admit to that? :)

well, hearing it from someone puts my mind at ease:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D, 4GB DDR3, 9400m - 4th gen ipod touch

I require Level 3 cache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For all we know, continuing to use the old boards could simply mean that Apple will be purchasing them as spare parts for current machines that use them, as opposed to implementing them in future models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
They could just go back to ATI cards like in my first MBP but better seems they have done
this with the iMac line already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.