logging in and out of terminal application

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro and iMac. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in.

Is it also possible to start the terminal application without having it automatically logging in, and instead require a login to use it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You login to the UI/Desktop through the proper login window, once you're logged in, running the Terminal application just gets you a shell. You do NOT need to login again for that, you're ALREADY logged in.

What you might want to do is go to System Preferences, Accounts and then check to see an option which says "Automatically login using" is set, this chooses which user to automatically login in. Turn that off, and you'll be prompted for the login box each time your Mac starts up..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
That I understand -- what I wanted to know was is it possible to not have terminal automatically log me in, and instead require a login, even if I have auto login set from the system preferences?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Terminal is not "logging" you in addition to you already logging into the desktop. It's just running a shell..there's no separate login for the Terminal than the Desktop one..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The operating system logs you in, look at Terminal as a utility you open from the Utilities folder like any other that just does special things. You double click it to open, and hit the "quit' button to close it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.