Open NAT

Reaction score
I am wanting to open my NAT on my Macbook when playing xbox online. I am getting wireless from a linksys router, in when a embarq 660 modem is hooked to it. I am bridging with an ethernet cable from my macbook to the xbox currently. Doing the internet sharing, blah blah tutorial that you can find on youtube to allow this. Hopefully someone that has a macbook and is/was in a similar situation to me can help me out on how to do this. I have tried many searches and tried to follow the steps in these searches, but can't figure it out.

Reaction score
What do you mean too far away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

Basically putting a computer in the DMZ opens it up to the outside world. You are bridging the connection but the xBox still gets his own IP. Just put that in the DMZ and leave the rest hidden behind the NAT firewall.

What model is your router?

OP
S
Reaction score
What do you mean too far away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

Basically putting a computer in the DMZ opens it up to the outside world. You are bridging the connection but the xBox still gets his own IP. Just put that in the DMZ and leave the rest hidden behind the NAT firewall.

What model is your router?

Im still confused. Do you mean an ethernet cable from the xbox to the router? If so, my xbox is to far away from the router to allow this.

Router model is linksys wrt160n

Reaction score
No, every device in your local network has an IP address. Your xBox is simply using your Mac as a means of getting that IP thru your Mac. Your router controls the connectivity to the outside world and hides everything behind a NAT. The DMZ will allow you to bypass the NAT by telling the router which IP will be in it. So, static the IP on the xBox and put that IP in the DMZ to allow it to the outside world.

Linksys DMZ setup

OP
S
Reaction score
After 2.5 hours on the phone with various people from Linksys, Xbox, and Century Link, we were able to get the NAT to moderate. It did allow a friend to finally join a party and game, that he was not able to do before. Each person I talked to kept telling me that they've never messed with this situation on a macbook before. Maybe they should for the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you have a Linksys WiFi router, why not just hook the Xbox directly to the router? Seems like a convoluted setup you have going on.

Reaction score
If you have a Linksys WiFi router, why not just hook the Xbox directly to the router? Seems like a convoluted setup you have going on.

Or buy an extender and plug your xBox into it. This is what I used to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Its to far away. I'm not running an ethernet cord on the floor throughout the house to get it corrected. It works fine bridging the connection. Plus, there was a way to get it open. Why mess with it if it isn't broken. I don't have deep pockets to buy a pc laptop or a new xbox with wireless built in, or hire people to come out and remodel my house just to get everything in the correct place. When I build my own house, all this will be taken care of before the drywall and insulation goes up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.