Blast from the past - G4 and Formac monitor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to connect a G4 to an old Formac Gallery 2010 Oxygen monitor that only has a DVI-D connection, and it’s not working. The starting screen comes up (grey screen with nothing but the Apple logo and a grey timer icon), but then when it should go to the login screen, the screen goes black. The VGA slot of the Mac works fine, having tried it on a different monitor and on a projector, but ideally I need to get it going through the DVI monitor.

Looking at the Formac FAQ page here: Welcome to Formac - Experience a new perspective, it seems possible that I have to set the Mac to the monitor’s native resolution, 1600x1200 – only problem is, I don’t have a VGA monitor that supports that resolution, to enable me to set it! I know from using the Formac with a PC that it does support other resolutions (1042x768, 800x600), and I’ve tried setting the Mac to these, but to no avail. The support page also says that I could try zapping the PRAM, but it implies that this will only work if the resolution is set correctly, so I haven’t tried it yet.

So, is there any way I can set the resolution to 1600x1200 without a working monitor that supports that resolution (apologies if that’s a really stupid question), or should I just try zapping the PRAM in the wrong resolution, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.