iskin static

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1024ram
Whenever I remove my iskin from the keyboard, the static that has built up is enough to shut down the laptop. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to prevent it and is it harmful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Static is never good for anything electronic. The fact that you're zapping it enough to shut it down every time you take the iskin off is really not good.

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to see what they suggest. Their product is supposed to protect your Mac, not slowly kill it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I concur, check with the maufacturer. My guess, they would say not to remove it as often as you are doing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1024ram
I emailed iskin about the problem. They haven't gotten back to me about it yet. I've decided to stop using it all together. It seems like every time I take it off something happens to the ibook. Usually it turns off and stops charging, last time it disabled my trackpad. Even if I do take this thing off just once a week, that still means a weekly zap for my computer. I really like using the iskin, but I guess I'll just have to get used to not using it. Its fairly dry where I live so maybe that is making this more of a problem than usual. Has anyone else experienced this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.