Self extracting archive

Reaction score
In windows pcs you can create a self extracting archive. Is there an equivalent for Mac? A self extracting archive for the Mac OS X? If there is a way to create a self extracting Mac archive I need a way to create one on a Windows platform. Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No, there is no equivalent to a self extracting archive on the Mac.

Mac archives are typically disk image (.dmg), Zip (.zip) or Gzip'ed TAR (.tar.gz or .tgz) files.

Reaction score
My question is why would you need it? Things are handled differently on a Mac than on a PC so what would you need it for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Self-extracting archives are only useful if you need to unpack to a specific location or if the person receiving the file doesn't have a means to unpack the file. This was useful in the past before unzipping functions were built into operating systems, but nowadays pretty much everyone can open a simple .zip file.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It was mostly curiosity. Another bit of curiosity is how can I create a DMG file on a Windows machine? Is that possible?

Reaction score
LOL oops! Still, Google is your friend. You just have to type the right stuff in it! :p

C

chas_m

Self-extracting files -- yet ANOTHER reason Macs don't have viruses.

Oh, there was a time when Macs had self-extracting files ... back in OS 9 days ... guess what else we had back then?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.