Time Machine - restore from Mac disaster

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I perform regular backups of my MBP onto an external drive with Time Machine. For the sake of discussion, let's say my MBP was completely destroyed or otherwise rendered inoperable. Using TM and it's backups on my external drive, how would I restore all of my data to a new Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
You would do a clean install of the OS on the new machine then backup from Time Machine during the install with Migration Assistant.

OP
wavinwayne
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
You would do a clean install of the OS on the new machine then backup from Time Machine during the install with Migration Assistant.

OK, thank you. One more thing...If I were to buy a new Mac at the Apple store, would they do the migration for me?

All theoretical, of course as nothing untoward has happened to my MBP. Knock on wood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
OK, thank you. One more thing...If I were to buy a new Mac at the Apple store, would they do the migration for me?

All theoretical, of course as nothing untoward has happened to my MBP. Knock on wood.

Perhaps. It takes a time though. You'd be at the store for a while. It's pretty idiot proof. Run Migration Assistant. Select the backup source. Let it sit for a couple hours and do their thing...

If both machines are running, you can also migrate directly from one to another without Time Machine.

If you want to see the first steps, just run Migration Assistant on your existing MBP. It's already preinstalled.

OP
wavinwayne
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
...If you want to see the first steps, just run Migration Assistant on your existing MBP. It's already preinstalled.

I will do that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Yea, they would.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.