App for easily cataloguing files

Reaction score
Hallo everybody!
Sorry for beginning my "life" in this forum with a question, but... maybe that's what forums are made for ;P

Anyway. Like many of us I have many files in my HDD, especially PDFs, DOCs and PPTs.
What I'm looking for is some kind of "dBase" to help me finding the right file anyway it is stored (Mac HD, external HD, TimeCapsule...).
I found some software out there, but i couldn't find the one for me. Actually what I need is the possibility to build some Categories and Sub-Categories and to "Drag&Drop" files in them, so that I can handle links instead of folders and sub-folders.

Anyone has something like that handy?

Thanks!

OP
H
Reaction score
First of all let me thank you for your quick and kind answer.

I took a look to Bento, but I can't find no template (or any "pre-built" piece of software) that can help me...

Hoping someone else can do the trick! :Cool:

Reaction score
LOL, it is a database program, you will have to build it! I doubt you are going to find anything like what you are looking for. The best you can do is name your files with something that describes them and then use spotlight to look for the one you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Try the built in spotlight feature.

Command-Space to activate. Type a portion of the file name and the file extension. i.e.
"contracts xls"
"genericfilename pdf"
"documentname doc"

OP
H
Reaction score
First of all thank you both for your answers.

@DaFlake: yes... I know that Bento is (some kind of) dBase... I work with FileMaker but I don't really have the time to set up a new dB doing the things I need. That's why I was looking for a pre-built software and/or dBase ;D

@JayGray: Spotlight is great, as far as you have all files correctly named and so on. But what if you don't have "self-explaining" file names such as "FE56788.pdf" ? I found a way to use tags, but it's a problem, as I have some 30 Gb of files to tag...

@anybody else :Blushing: I found this: DevonThink. Anyone using this in "real world" (I mean: not in video tutorials... :Cool: )? Any opinion on that?

Thanks and... thanks again O:)

Reaction score
Never used it but it looks good. They have a trial as well. Might as well give it a shot!

OP
H
Reaction score
Just a quick update to this thread.
I downloaded and installed DevonThink Pro Office. Oh, boy! That's exactly what I was looking for! :Cool:
Easy-to-use and drag-n-drop with the power of a flexible dB engine and a ton of scripts for any use!!!
It really WAS worth a try!

Thank you, everybody for your messages and... Merry Christmas to all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.