JAPANESE DICTIONARY, ipod Touch or iphone ??

Reaction score
I would like to have an electronic dictionary to help me learn Japanese. As I can't read kanji, I would love to have the Japanese also displayed in kana (or even romaji? But kana OK). Also if possible I would love to be able to search for words just by their Japanese pronunciation (either in kana or romaji) so I can look up words or phrases I hear but don't know the kanji for.

Now my question is whether there is an electronic dictionary which is best for this, or whether these things would be possible and/or better using an IPHONE or IPOD TOUCH.

If those can do this job, that would be great as they have other functions too. Anyone have experience with this? So then my question would be, which of those 2 should I choose? So I have a few questions about that:

Ipod touch - it can connect to the internet for free, right? Is there a connection in most places in Tokyo? How about outside of Tokyo? And can you phone using skype when you have a connection (and a skype account of course)?

Iphone - what is the cheapest option for the phone plan? I would you the mobile phone capabilities to phone people maybe once or twice a month! So I guess prepaid would be good if it is possible, but is it? And for online stuff I would do it rarely I think, just the occasional map when going somewhere, or looking up something on wikipedia but rarely, so is there a prepaid data plan also? Until now I have never needed a mobile phone (believe it or not) so I am SURE I don't want to be spending thousands of yen per month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.