Powerbook G4 Upgrades.

Reaction score
Cleaning up a friends old mac, cuz his macbook took a dump, he'd rather fix this up a little as its functioning right now. It's a powerbook G4 with osx 10.3, panther I think, so I'm wondering what the maximum os I can go up to.. leopard? He has a gigabyte of ram and a 120gb hd. It runs suprinsly quick for the age, just wants some fine tuning done.. any reccomendations besides the os? Oh and the processor is 1.67ghz.

Thanks in advance.:Smirk:

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
The best upgrade to do to increase the systems "snappiness" would be to install a SSD. But these are expensive and most users don't want to spend that much money on an upgrade.

As far as the max OS, I do not know as I have only been using Macs for about 2 months now.

OP
J
Reaction score
No need for an SSD, we're college students. Hah. Anyone else chime in on the os? Pretty sure it'll take Leopard, but I just want to double check.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No need for an SSD, we're college students. Hah. Anyone else chime in on the os? Pretty sure it'll take Leopard, but I just want to double check.

Yes this Powerbook can use OS 10.5 Leopard...an install disk is going to cost you $100-$125 bucks. I would also max. out the ram.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
A quick check of Mac Tracker says that the ram maxes out at 2.0 GB. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.