iMac G5 logic board problems and untimely deaths????

L

lgreene550

I bought an iMac G5 in October, 2004 and it died a miserable death about 8 months later in July 2005. Initially, it was starting up with a gray screen or sometimes a ? screen. After a few days of back and forth, Apple finally took the machine back in and had to replace the logic board (free of charge since it was under warranty).

I took it in and after first sending me back home saying it was an OS X corruption problem and not a hardware problem, I had to come back to the Apple store when clearly it wasn't (after 3 reinstalls of the OS X, the machine finally died completely and wouldn't boot at all).

I've read a lot on past months forums about others having trouble with the logic board, perhaps due to faulty parts that burn out, etc. Although I never got a burning smell, seems to be a related problem. Is there any more recent news on this? Is the iMac g5 a dud or what? While I was at the Apple store there was another person in line who had had the exact same problem a few months earlier and there are multiple threads on this forum dedicated to this? Anybody got an answer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I read something not too long ago, that it's the oldest versions of the iMac, 1.8, not the 2.0 versions that have this problem. I would probably pursue it with Apple and have them replace your unit with the 2.0 Ghz one, since it doesn't sound like they have that problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.