Re: Iomega eGo Portable HD 500GB USB 2.0 Leather

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Re: Iomega eGo Portable HD 500GB USB 2.0 Leather

I received as a gift the Iomega eGo Portable HD 500GB USB2 (SKU34512). I have no idea how to set this up. The directions say it's compatible with Mac, but I have to reformat the drive, but when I plug everything in I get a message "Do you want to use Iomega HDD to back up with Time Machine?" Then options "Don't Use or "Use as backup disk". Does this mean I still have to reformat it? Also I'm not sure I want to backup the whole drive. I was planning only to back up my data and then eventually deleted the stuff of my hard drive. Which is better, the whole system or data? I am very new to this and I am very confused. I'm mainly interested in saving all my PrintShop projects and photos so I can gain more space on my drive.

I have a Mac mini, 2.26Ghz Intel Core 1 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2cache, 4GB Ram. 160 GB drive with 126 GB available.

Thanks,
Helen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the iOmega for both Time Machine and storage of files. Note that Time Machine will format the drive as HFS Extended Journaled which is OK since that will also allow you to copy files from your Mini hard drive onto the iOmega.

It's not a good idea to copy or move system files to the external as that will cause problems. Just use the iOmega for data files such as documents, photos, music, etc. You can even move your iTunes and iPhoto library onto the iOmega.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
When I hook up the drive, how would I get Time Machine to reformat the drive? And if I get this message "Do you want to use Iomega HDD to back up with Time Machine?" Then options "Don't Use or "Use as backup disk", which should I choose?

The directions that came with the external drive said to go into disk utility and reformat it there.

Helen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is best to use Disk Utility to format the drive rather than depend on TM to do it. Make certain that you format it using the "GUID" partition map and that the file system is Mac HFS Extended Journaled. As I stated previously, the drive can be used for data in addition to making TM backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.