• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why is everyone so against gaming on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Why is everyone so against gaming on the Mac?

I ask this question after reading quite a few posts from long time members on this forum pretty much saying in their own words: Only game on a Mac if you have to. But it is far from the best option. It makes me think these comments are trying to tell people do not game on the Mac.

I game on my Mac. Always have. And with Steam for Mac, the new App store coming in January, bootcamp and the many developers (indie and mainstream) creating games for Mac there is a lot of choice. Sure I agree if you want squeeze every last fps from your games then a home build windows rig is best. But for just having fun playing games, the Mac does very well. Get one with a decent dedicated GPU and you're laughing.

I think gaming on the Mac is just fine. And I recommend it before TV console gaming for the Mac owners. Cause no extra Hardware to purchase.

But really I want to know why is everyone (on this forum and elsewhere) so against gaming on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Ha I was just reading something you posted on about gaming on the mac, it really is a bug-bear of yours isn't it.
I for one am not against it, not really tried it that much. I have an xbox 360 and use that most of the time. I have played assassins creed on my MBP though and that was fine

- Simon

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes it is. I'm not saying it's better or worse then console gaming. I'm just want to get people to consider the Mac as another option out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Maybe it's a cost issue. If I'm not mistaken, one can build a very fast Windows gaming machine for less coin than a comparably spec'd Mac.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. But when you already own a Mac, why go and build another machine when you don't have to. For gaming only and you don't already own a Mac - The windows rig would be cheaper. But if you already own a Mac - well you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I still rock Diablo II and Warcraft/Starcraft on my Quicksilver. I've always been trying to "get the most" out of my Mac in terms of gaming, and even went as far as purchasing a Radeon 9800 Pro for it to get better frame rates. Now it's just the CPU that's bottlenecking it.

I now have a gaming PC which handles all of my "high-demand" games.

I used to be big into PC gaming, but got sick of upgrading constantly and switched to consoles.. Now I'm back to a PC.

I've just never had the cash to afford a Mac that was capable of gaming, to be honest. The newer models are certainly capable of it, even if you have to Bootcamp into windows to do so (as the library is much larger vs. Mac-native games).

Gaming is getting better on Mac, especially with the launch of Steam, which i might add is sweet! I bought L4D2 for $4.99 USD and Just Cause 2 for $7.49 USD. So it's cost effective as well.

Maybe it's a cost issue. If I'm not mistaken, one can build a very fast Windows gaming machine for less coin than a comparably spec'd Mac.

This is true.. I just recently bought a dual-core AMD system, running 4gb of OCZ Ram, an 8800GTS 640MB video card, a nice Asus SLI-ready mobo, 19" HP monitor (ironically the exact same model I have setup to my QS)., gaming keyboard/mouse for $500 CDN off a local F/S/T site. Everythign in this system is aftermarket and in brand-new condition. Forgot to mention a set of Logitech G51 surround speakers were included (gotta love low-end frequency response @ 36hz).

This thing plays everything I through at it @ 1440x900 resolution, with every detail setting max'd, very smoothly, without ANY framerate issues. Just Cause 2 only shows a SLIGHT frame-chop when there's a lot going on, but that's about it.

So cost is a HUGE factor for most, I'm sure, considering a base MacPro is $2600. Granted, I landed a sweet deal, however, youcan build a nice system, for under $1000 (including a monitor/keyboard/mouse).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm not sure I get your point entirely. I think that most people tend to flock to consoles or Win PC's for gaming because most games are coded to run better ( DX Vs. Open GL) on those platforms, AND because you don't have the same amount of options (titles) on OS X as you do with consoles or Windows.

So when you say "gaming", you have to consider what that encompasses for a "gamer". Maybe if you said "casual gaming" you'd have a better argument, IMO. Steam is an O.K. start I guess, but far from scratching the surface in terms of options and titles.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't deter someone from gaming on a Mac, it's certainly possible and getting better. But if you're choosing between a Mac and a PC desktop, and gaming is a priority, you can really get a lot more value from a PC. The primary reason for that is on most PCs, you can easily and economically change your video card out. So, as games get more complex and require ever more power video cards, you can keep up without having to buy an entirely new machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not saying this is the only rational for gaming on a Mac not being as good as on a Windows computer but...

I think that one big drawback to Macintosh computers is the lack of expandability/upgradability. Most really good Windows gaming computers are desktop towers. Most computing folks know that there is nothing more expandable or upgradeable than a Windows tower computer.

Think about the Macintosh computer line-up (Mac-Mini, iMac, notebooks, Mac Pro)...the only model that is truly upgradeable is the Mac Pro. And to be honest...the Mac Pros are not nearly as upgradeable as a Windows Tower computer.

So the problem is (when it comes to Macintosh computers) is upgradeability. A brand new Macintosh computer can be ok at playing the latest & greatest games (assuming a Macintosh computer with a fast cpu & good video hardware).

But what happens is in 1-2 years when even newer & more demanding games are released...that "brand new Mac" that once was fine...now may not be able to play the latest & greatest games. And if you have a notebook, Mac-mini, or iMac (that cannot be upgraded)...they may not be able to play the latest games (or may not play them well due to low frame rates or low detail levels).

If you have a Windows tower computer...you can upgrade:

- the cpu
- upgrade the video card
- and upgrade the ram.

On a Macintosh you:

- can't upgrade the cpu (even the Mac Pro's in most cases)
- you cannot upgrade the video hardware/card (even the Mac Pro's have limited options)
- all you really can do is upgrade the ram

All in all. A brand new Macintosh can play most new games, and can certainly play older games (assuming a good cpu & video hardware)...but where Mac's start to have problems is when games get more & more complex...and more demanding...they don't have the upgradeability options of Windows computers. So a nice new powerful Mac today may be ok for gaming...but in just 1-2 years they may not be so good.

Just my humble opinion,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I think you are reading the posts wrong. I do game on the Mac with Steam as you do, I also use bootcamp to play the most demanding PC games. So as you say - the Mac does fine for gaming. That being said - if gaming is the priority - then the Mac might not be the best option. Most questions are - should I buy a Mac? I like to game. If gaming is the priority you are better off building a dedicated gaming box. If you game casually or don't need the smoothest gaming experience then the Macs are fine. If gaming isn't a priority the Macs are also fine.

Example - my old AMD Athlon runs Portal with everything turned up better than my Macbook Pro - because it has a higher end video card. On the other hand I can play Portal anywhere on my Macbook Pro.

As stated before - there are a lot more options for faster cheaper hardware specific for gaming for the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You can game on a mac, but I think what most of the people, who I've seen write that stuff too, are talking to general PC people who buy windows pc's just for gaming, which is normal. With that said, you can't really say to someone to get a mac to game on. If you want to game, don't get a mac, because there are clearly better alternatives.

However, if the vast majority of your pc doesn't come from gaming, then you should be fine with one. I think that's what they mean when they say "don't buy a mac to game on," even though you can.

I have also read posts on here with people saying that macs don't do games...you all know the truth to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
There have already been some good points mentioned so far. It's not whether you can play games on a Mac but rather it comes down to if you are a hardcore gamer or a casual gamer. As mentioned a Windows tower is cheaper and more upgradable than a Mac and hardcore gamers who want to play the latest games at the highest settings will be happier with a dedicated Windows machine for gaming.

For casual gamers like myself who don't want the extra expense of owning another computer just to play games will be happy with the gaming experience on a Mac. The way I see it is that playing games on a Mac is a nice bonus and not a priority for me so yes gaming is possible on a Mac but then again I'm not a demanding hardcore gamer. I think that sums up the gaming experience on a Mac.

A person can definitely play a decent amount of games on Macs and if their Mac is fast enough they can even play it at the highest game settings but for hardcore gamers who wants to literary play every new game out there and be ready for future games they will start to see the limitations of gaming on a Mac. Others have already mentioned those limitations so I won't repeat them.

If gaming is a secondary objective for someone then I say they'll probably be happy with gaming on a Mac. I know I am. It saves a person the time and expense of buying and maintaining 2 computers. On the other hand, if a person is a hardcore gamer and gaming is their priority but they also want a Mac then they will probably be happier having both a Mac and a dedicated Windows gaming machine. Of course they can try gaming solely on their Mac first but if they truly are hardcore gamers they will most likely be disappointed. If not now then definitely in the future when they realize that they can't really upgrade their Macs without buying a whole new one. Computers get quickly outdated if you are a hardcore gamer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And of course Endless Mac there is a far greater availability of top end games for the PC market than there ever will be for the Mac and the cost factor of the game themselves.

Comes down to the old, old issue of supply and demand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Yes Harry you are right about availability. It also does come down to supply and demand which is why I'm not against gaming on a Mac because we need to support it in order for it to grow but I also think it's only fair to let others know the reality of it all so they don't get a false impression.

I'm definitely happy there are more Mac game titles now than in the past. I try to always buy the Mac version when I can but as I've mentioned I'm not a demanding gamer so it works for me. I think there are more casual Mac gamers than we think there are. That's where I see the growth for Mac gaming. Hardcore gamers are in a completely different category.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, if the vast majority of your pc doesn't come from gaming, then you should be fine with one. I think that's what they mean when they say "don't buy a mac to game on," even though you can.

I can understand your point. But people should say "don't buy a Mac as a dedicated gaming only rig". That is too expensive. But as a work machine with games as well it can save you money compared to having to buy a Mac and a gaming PC.

And I can list a lot of Non-Casual games that are on the Mac as a lot of casual ones. I think people now refer to hardcore gamers as the ones who want the mad fps from a home built rig. But back in the old days hardcore gamers were called that cause they played the longer more intense games as apposed to the casual gamers who played mostly short casual games. I think the definition of what a hardcore gamer is has changed over the years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think "hardcore gamer" is too broad of a term to have only one definition, and only reflects those people who you might know personally. There are people who's life and earning revolve around playing games. That's who I would call a "hardcore gamer," not someone who has no life, and plays games on their parents basement all day long...that's just a bum gamer imo. I also don't think that a person who builds a rig to get the highest fraps, isn't a hardcore gamer just because he built a cool machine.

I think I'm getting off topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Mods - if you have to delete it, delete it, but this post is totally 100% relative to this conversation.

I have L4D2. I have it downloaded from Steam on two different installs on one computer. It's a desktop with an OC'ed i7-920 at 3.8ghz that runs steadily under 60c while under load. It has 6GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 295 with nearly 2GB of memory.

Under windows I can run L4D2 at 2560x1600 on my 30" monitor with all settings jacked up as high as possible. The largest resolution available for OS X is something like 20xx on the long end and it lags horribly.

That's the most graphically intensive game I've tried on OS X, other programs like video editing programs for my Canon 5D MKII's 1080p files work fine.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes but Village Idiot you can get it to run on the Apple computer too. Maybe not as good settings as on the PC though. But it still runs. And most people don't really care between good or ultra settings. As long as it runs on the computer without too much lagging or slowdowns people are happy.

I agree a crazy fps nut would go in a rage if their machine could not handle ultra settings of any game perfectly. But for the average person as long as it works and they can have fun then it's ok by them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes but Village Idiot you can get it to run on the Apple computer too. Maybe not as good settings as on the PC though. But it still runs. And most people don't really care between good or ultra settings. As long as it runs on the computer without too much lagging or slowdowns people are happy.

I agree a crazy fps nut would go in a rage if their machine could not handle ultra settings of any game perfectly. But for the average person as long as it works and they can have fun then it's ok by them.

Actually, it won't run at the native resolution of 2560x1600 and it's so laggy that it is unplayable.

You're trying to put words in my mouth. In my last post I stated is didn't have an option for 2560x1600 and that it lagged horribly. The 20XX setting is the highest option they have.

And most people I know that game care about playing at the best possible setting they can, which is high on most decent modern Windows PCs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm when I game I want the best FPS and highest res I can get out of my machine. There is a reason why gamers spend so much money on their gaming rigs.

I also like to OC and tweak my CPU, GPU, and the RAM. That's not going to happen on a Mac.

Not against gaming on a Mac, it's just there are better alternatives that can do it better with a lot more customization.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.