Update is taking too long!

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have been reading threads and forums like mad today but have not found an answer to my problem. I decided today to do a software update on my MacBook. It all started fine, it downloaded all the updates and then asked me to restart - so I did. That was about 4 hours ago. It has been showing the "space" screen with the color wheel spinning since then.
My question is - Is this normal? Should it be taking so long? It has been a while since my last update so there was a lot to upgrade, but I am getting worried.
Also if I force a restart will that cause a lot of problems?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Unfortunately it sounds like something went wrong. This can occasionally happen when updating quite alot, if you have time machine I would go back to before the updates, then update each item one or two at a time.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have no option and whilst you do not provide computer details and operating system, it may well be best to download the Combo Updater direct from the Apple web site. If things have become corrupted you may well be up for a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It's too late now but for future reference it's always a good idea to do a Time Machine backup before doing updates so that you can go back if anything happens. If you have any Time Machine backups at all then all may not be lost. As Harry has mentioned without any further details of your Mac it makes it harder to help you.

Just keep in mind that if you haven't updated in awhile I find it better to do a few at a time rather than doing them all at once. This is why I prefer to not waiting so long before updating. Of course you don't have to update the second they come out but doing updates somewhat regularly helps prevent this kind of problem. Security updates really should be done sooner rather than later though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think harry's right. Download the correct Combo updater from the Apple site and work from there. If you have multiple updates to install that could mean multiple restarts depending upon which updates need to be installed.

The biggest plus for me is that I don't need to worry about the order of installation. That's not usually an issue but I have had it happen before due to not having the Installer current. Took a couple of tries before I figured out that nothing else would install unless that was done first.

Reaction score
This happened to me before about 4 years ago with my macbook pro

Try and restart a couple of times and you might be ok.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I eventually restarted and everything was ok. I downloaded the Combo Update and went through the process nice and slow. I will be updating quite often from now on. I sometimes think that macs are invincible...
Thanks again!!
Merry Xmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well use the rule of thumb .. if it is electronics it is a l-o-n-g way from invincible!

That is why in bad moments they are referred to as FREDS!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.