Need some advice about iphone 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
hey there...i was just looking online to buy an iphone...there is one that i found ...its used...& the guy says its factory unlocked & jailbroken.

now that did not make sense to me...i have sent him a mail....but i would like some people here who have experience with the concepts of unlocked vs. factory unlocked vs. jailbreaking to shed some light on this for me...

i do understand the factory unlocked is a good thing...but why would you need to jailbreak a factory unlocked phone?

thanks for your help in advance :)

ps. & if i get one that is locked to at&t or something...how easy or difficult would it be for me to unlock/jailbreak it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Factory unlocked means that it is open to all networks, jailbreak is a different thing.
Jailbreaking an iphone means that you can then install 3rd party / unapproved by apple apps onto the phone without having to go though the app store. Good for if there are apps you want that arnt on the app store.

Hope this clears it up a bit

- Simon

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
ahh ok...thanks...yes...it does help quite a bit :)

so a few more clarifications...once jailbroken...will anything done through the official app store work as it normally would? or will i not be able to use the store any longer?

also...the second question i asked in the original post...does unlocking need to be done by a professional...or can i do it at home?

C

chas_m

There is a difference between "factory unlocked" and "unlocked."

You can jailbreak (which you have to do in order to unlock) an iPhone yourself, but every single time Apple updates the software, you're either going to have to do the whole process again or wait until someone comes up with a jailbreak/unlock utility. Which can sometimes take weeks.

If it is possible to get one, and if unlocked is your main objective, a factory unlocked iPhone is the way to go. Jailbreaking = very overrated, but unlocked=awesome, and a factory unlocked phone will always remain unlocked.

But to answer your question, if you jailbroke an iPhone you would still be able to use the App Store as normal.

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok...thanks for all the help guys...this seems to be the deal for me then...

on a side note...since it is "factory" unlocked...that would mean that applecare cant refuse to fix it incase i have problems...correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Aslong as it is still under apple warranty it will be fine.

- Simon

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all the clarifications :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem at all

- Simon

Reaction score
Well, if its jailbroken, then Apple Care can refuse to work on it.

You should restore to an UnJailbroken state before you allow it into any Apple employee's hands.

And I can't disagree more with Chas' statement that Jailbreaking is overrated.

50% of the utility I use on my iPhone are things that are only available because of the jailbreak.

If I were stuck with iOS in stock configuration, I'd have an Android

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...if im not mistaken...what he meant was that the process of jailbreaking is overrated as it isnt so hard to do...but i may be wrong :p

anyhow...this has brought up another question in my mind...if the phone was actually jailbroken...& updating the OS messes that up again...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?

in other words...will free apps or paid apps i download from the store be effected by problems arising out of the whole jailbreak/update deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apps that have been legitimately paid for on the app store will not be affected at all by the jailbreak process. Any apps downloaded via the jailbreak methods will have to be re-installed after re-jailbreaking the phone

- Simon

Reaction score
hmm...if im not mistaken...what he meant was that the process of jailbreaking is overrated as it isnt so hard to do...but i may be wrong :p

anyhow...this has brought up another question in my mind...if the phone was actually jailbroken...& updating the OS messes that up again...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?

in other words...will free apps or paid apps i download from the store be effected by problems arising out of the whole jailbreak/update deal?

Well, Chas and I have had this discussion before, so I took it based on our past convos. He doesn't see a need in jailbreaking; I do. As I said before, I wouldn't have an iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak it.

As for your other question, as Buzzard said, the jailbreak process has no bearing on the normal iOS app store.
If you don't install anything from Cydia, you'll never notice a difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
...do all apps become locked? or only the ones that run becasue of the jailbreak?

Once a update is here, the JB becomes null and void and all your Cydia Apps will be non existent . . . . . . . And this is the reason why so many people ark up when there is a update, bc as chas has said, it can sometimes take weeks for the new JB to be operational . . . .
The update JB to the latest iOS update took about 4 weeks or longer from memory to be available to the public ........

C

chas_m

Well, Chas and I have had this discussion before, so I took it based on our past convos. He doesn't see a need in jailbreaking; I do.

You've misinterpreted my point.

I didn't say there's no need for jailbreaking; I said it's overrated. Big difference. Obviously I think there are times when one can benefit from jailbreaking, otherwise I wouldn't have done it myself! My old iPhone 2G increased in its value to me once I installed an "unofficial" app to activate the A2DP profile so I could use stereo Bluetooth, just as an example.

I've got nothing against jailbreaking at all. It's just that people have several misperceptions about it and most people really don't have any actual need to do it. Those that do, go right ahead.

Let me put this another way that may make my position clearer: I don't have anything against modding your computer -- but I think its dumb to do it while it's under warranty.

Likewise, jailbreaking is something best done (IMO) to give new life to old equipment -- because re-jailbreaking and re-installing stuff every time Apple updates the firmware is a PITA.

Reaction score
Likewise, jailbreaking is something best done (IMO) to give new life to old equipment -- because re-jailbreaking and re-installing stuff every time Apple updates the firmware is a PITA.

Both you and TattooedMac seem to be under the impression that everyone always updates their phone when Apple releases am update.

I'm currently running 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4. There's no reason for me to update to a newer firmware. I think game center is stupid and if I had it, I'd use poof to not have to look at that ugly icon I'd never use; I already have a HDR app (that I never use) and while Find My iPhone sounds like a good idea, I've gone 3 years so far being able to keep up with my phone, so I think its more a novelty.
I have an untethered jailbreak and I have one of the few unlockable iPhone 4s.
I'll probably keep it on this firmware so that in a few months I can unlock it and sell it for enough to buy the next generation.

The jailbreak is more important to me than Apple's incremental updates.

One time, I had to click "Do Not Ask Me Again" in iTunes when it told me there was an update available.

Its really not that much trouble

Reaction score
after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.

Reaction score
after jailbreaking, i ran into some problems updating the free apps through the apple store. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same problem or know how to fix it.

So if there is an update on the Yelp app for example, i cant simply update from the apple store, i would have to delete Yelp app and then redownload it again to get the latest version.

This is the first I've ever heard of a problem like this.
Jailbreaking shouldn't upset the iTunes sync functionality of the iOS, unless someone has tampered with that sub directory manually.

Do you have terminal and open SSH on your phone?

C

chas_m

Both you and TattooedMac seem to be under the impression that everyone always updates their phone when Apple releases am update.

You make a perfectly valid point, but I always seemed to feel that most of the updates were worth doing, either for security or features -- or because newer software in the App Store required the updated OS.

My original iPhone cannot be upgraded past 3.13 so I did that and I am done -- and very happy I don't have to ever re-do the unlock on that unit ever again.

Reaction score
You make a perfectly valid point, but I always seemed to feel that most of the updates were worth doing, either for security or features -- or because newer software in the App Store required the updated OS.

My original iPhone cannot be upgraded past 3.13 so I did that and I am done -- and very happy I don't have to ever re-do the unlock on that unit ever again.

I can't remember exactly when, but Saurik started issuing security updates through Cydia for known issues before Apple released the patches.

I honestly see most of Apple's updates as a way to personally screw me.

When I had 3.0, I didn't jailbreak. I was able to use the benm trick and turn on tethering, and that's all I ever needed. 3.0.1 comes out, touting some essential security upgrade, so I did it, and guess what? No longer could I enable the native tethering on my iPhone.
That's when I jailbroke again, and why I insist on it now.
I can't get internet service at my home, period (no that I'd want to pick up that $60 bill anyway since I have unlimited on my phone) so without tethering ability, my MacBook is a big old paperweight

C

chas_m

Yes, I can see how useful that is to you -- but it's not really a typical situation for most people IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.