Need some advice about iphone 4

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
hmmm...ok....well the phone i bought (yes i got it) :D is already jailbroken

i did however register it with apple & there seemed to be no issue with that...says its under warranty till aug 2011

loving it so far....may have a few more questions since im new to ios..but ill start new threads for that...fortunately ive been using a mac for years now so that helps

btw..the guy i got it from had a few things installed...like games & stuff...is there any way i can tell which are legit & which are jailbreak versions?

Reaction score
hmmm...ok....well the phone i bought (yes i got it) :D is already jailbroken

i did however register it with apple & there seemed to be no issue with that...says its under warranty till aug 2011

loving it so far....may have a few more questions since im new to ios..but ill start new threads for that...fortunately ive been using a mac for years now so that helps

btw..the guy i got it from had a few things installed...like games & stuff...is there any way i can tell which are legit & which are jailbreak versions?

It may say its under warranty, but if Apple sees that its jailbroken they will void it.

As for telling about the apps...I'm taking it by your sentence that mentions "legit" versions that you are under the impression that jailbreaking is used to pirate apps. That is not the case for the vast majority of users. Use spotlight search and look for an App called Installous. If its not on the phone, then you most likely do not have any pirated apps. (You'll probably want to delete all that stuff anyway since you won't know the iTunes password associated with them and won't be able to update them)

Now, for the jailbreak stuff, there is an app called Cydia this is the jailbreak app store. If you don't have Cydia, the phone isn't jailbroken. When it loads, the tabs at the bottom will have an option for manage. Pick packages and you'll be able to see everything that Cydia installed on the phone. I'd advise you not to delete anything until you fully understand it all, since you can make the phone unusable if you delete the wrong thing.
(While you're there, look for a package called Yellowsn0w, if its on the phone, then its unlocked via jailbreak and not factory unlocked)

Reaction score
Now, for the jailbreak stuff, there is an app called Cydia this is the jailbreak app store. If you don't have Cydia, the phone isn't jailbroken. When it loads, the tabs at the bottom will have an option for manage. Pick packages and you'll be able to see everything that Cydia installed on the phone. I'd advise you not to delete anything until you fully understand it all, since you can make the phone unusable if you delete the wrong thing.
(While you're there, look for a package called Yellowsn0w, if its on the phone, then its unlocked via jailbreak and not factory unlocked)

How to install an application in cydia?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I honestly see most of Apple's updates as a way to personally screw me.

Really? You think Apple cares that much about you? Conceited much?

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
It may say its under warranty, but if Apple sees that its jailbroken they will void it.

As for telling about the apps...I'm taking it by your sentence that mentions "legit" versions that you are under the impression that jailbreaking is used to pirate apps. That is not the case for the vast majority of users. Use spotlight search and look for an App called Installous. If its not on the phone, then you most likely do not have any pirated apps. (You'll probably want to delete all that stuff anyway since you won't know the iTunes password associated with them and won't be able to update them)

weiser here are a few clarifications:

1. i know that jail breaking is not just used for pirated apps...but i also know that this one app called angry birds is a paid app so im pretty sure its not legit...as you said...the updating thing did not work

2. the apps work fine...& just to check i downloaded & tried to install a game myself...worked without a hitch! i didnt have to go thru any 3rd party app to do it...i just dragged & dropped it into itunes & it was on my phone...still working flawlessly on the phone & even with game centre. ( i have a related question which im going to start a new thread for)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/io...vice-breaking-back-into-jail.html#post1159550

btw...my phone is factory unlocked. i checked my model number on the internet..and from the list it seems it's from the UK & is factory unlocked :)

Reaction score
weiser here are a few clarifications:

1. i know that jail breaking is not just used for pirated apps...but i also know that this one app called angry birds is a paid app so im pretty sure its not legit...as you said...the updating thing did not work

2. the apps work fine...& just to check i downloaded & tried to install a game myself...worked without a hitch! i didnt have to go thru any 3rd party app to do it...i just dragged & dropped it into itunes & it was on my phone...still working flawlessly on the phone & even with game centre. ( i have a related question which im going to start a new thread for)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/io...vice-breaking-back-into-jail.html#post1159550

btw...my phone is factory unlocked. i checked my model number on the internet..and from the list it seems it's from the UK & is factory unlocked :)

Cool, good for you for getting a factory unlocked phone..

As for the ones that won't update (Like Angry Birds) just delete it like any other app. Hold it down till it wiggles then hit the minus sign

Reaction score
I've been using a JB iphone 4 for nearly three months and I just want to tell you that JB is highly recommended. What you need is to install less debs if possible to maintain the stability of the facility and to use 3rd part software to install ipa instead of iTunes ...(which is really annoying when you got your iphone JB)
You know what, if you want to buy an factory unlocked iphone and jailbreak it all by yourself, keep in mind of backing up your .shsh file in the very beginning.
That is my experience. Good luck for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.